Thread: Adverb or not?
View Single Post
Unread Dec 30th, 2011, 06:11 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adverb or not?

She learns very fast is perfectly good English. Fast can function both as an adverb or adjective, just as chair can function both as a noun and a verb, and out as a preposition or adverb. Itīs normal for words to have more than one function.

Thereīs nothing "colloquial" about it, either. Here are some authentic examples taken from formal, written texts :

... Siberia was also fast developing into a haven and a land of freedom
... rising prices of bread, milk and meat will worsen the already fast declining living standards of the population
... Unemployment has fallen in the county, although not as fast as in other parts of the region,
... my pleas for help were not heeded. I ran as fast as I dared along the Tottenham Court Road.
... With the West German economy growing fast already, the impetus from the East German migration...

I donīt know where this idea came from, but if the argument that fast isnīt an adverb (or more precisely an adverb of manner) is based on the argument that it doesnīt end in -ly, then this is irrelevant. There are several adverbs of manner which are not formed with -ly eg well, hard, late, straight - and several adjectives which are - eg friendly, likely, lively, lonely, lowly, .

Last edited by susan53 : Jan 5th, 2012 at 06:42 am.