View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Unread Jan 26th, 2012, 02:19 am
susan53 susan53 is offline
Join Date: Oct 8th, 2006
Location: Milan
Posts: 1,381
susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Dictionary of the English Language

When you have different questions, do split them into different posts - it makes it easier for other people to find them. Also if someone wants to contribute an answer to one question only, it gets confusing if they all mixed up on the same thread.

Anyway, some answers. I've referred to your questions by number.

1. It's impossible to answer this without seeing the expression in context. Always quote the complete sentence. But if S. Johnson is Samuel Johnson,then the dictionary was written in 1755, so you're asking about how the language was used 250 years ago - and it will inevitably be different from current use.

2. No there isn't. English, unlike other languages, rarely uses professional titles. (Didn't we discuss this in another thread??) The only ones that come to mind are Dr. (Doctor) for either a medical doctor or someone with a Ph.D, eg a university lecturer; Rev. (reverend) which you mention; and Prof. (Professor) for the head of a university department. "Ordinary" teachers are just Mr/Ms.

3. Yes, omit is a generally used term, while ellipt and elide are both used in linguistics. I prefer to use ellipt when talking about ellipsis, and to use elide only to talk about elision. However, elide is used regularly in both contexts.

4 + 5. I don't understand the questions. 4 : which word should be used for what?? 5: a definite article where? Before use and ease or something and understanding?? Again, you need to give a fuller explanation and examples. If you do, put each one on a new thread with its own title so people can see what the question is about.
An ELT Notebook
The DELTA Course

Last edited by susan53 : Jan 26th, 2012 at 04:58 am.
Reply With Quote