View Single Post
Unread Nov 17th, 2006, 12:07 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When to say 'no'.

Quote:
Quote livinginkorea
Also the housing system here is different. If you have some money then you can put the "key" money down on a house, let's say 20 million won (16,600 Euro). The landlord then takes that money and invests it and you don't have to pay any rent. After a year you can take the money back or stay there. Either way you are literally getting a house for free!
Got to agree with you LiK. The housing system in Korea is really really good. I like the fact that if you work hard and save some cash up you can become more independent and live in your own pad. I like it that I don't pay Council Tax which was about one to two thousand pounds per year (2 million to 4 million Won per year) for local Government to spend on a lousy service.

I also like the fact that to buy your own apartment is relatively cheap in Korea and that it is cheaper than the UK. The same goes for gas, electricity etc.

All in all my happiness in life is greater here than in the UK. My wife was my greatest source of encouragement to travel to Korea and experience something which I would be unlikely to experience again.

However, local Government in Korea is a double bladed sword. They are very good at getting things done but there is the stories of corruption. I hope that Korea becomes more acceptable towards foreigners to emigrate to Korea and offer more support for opening new businesses etc. But all in all, a great experience to be had in Korea.