View Single Post
Unread Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:08 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Re: disruptive students FCE

Well, firstly welcome to ESL HQ dudle and hope that this forum is of use to you.

I have never taught in Spain so am unable to answer your query directly. But I would like to know if this is your first time or year teaching in Spain? It is common for students to disrupt the class for attention, we can all agree with that. It is how you deal with the disruption which is key.

First of all you need a concrete plan or a rule list and the next time you go to lesson, preferably after the weekend you bring a big board with the rules for students to follow each day during class. If this is not adhered to, it calls for punishment. My idea with punishment is homework or a reward withdrawn during the month (such as a DVD, music etc). It is very important you stick with this because you must reward good behaviour (movie night, music night, bring you Spanish food night, etc). For example, if you speak and use your English effectively during lessons in the week you will be able to use your Spanish on a Friday to discuss ideas with the rewards etc. Or you could let them watch a movie or treat them to the cinema at the weekend.

At the end of the day it is important that the students enjoy their lesson and that they have a study schedule as well as a class rule board. This shows that you are in control and that you don't tolerate bad behaviour or unnessesary Spanish use, and you would withdraw rewards if this happens. If all else fails, students hate standing in the corridor or being told to leave early due to the bad behaviour.

Finally, I heard this from some friends. What would happen in Korea when you get hyperactive kids just disrupting the class and speaking Korean, is the teacher would have a drawer in the classroom with some letters in it. These letters were addressed to the parents of the children with the main message that their kid wasted their day as well as your hard earnt money at the language institute. The kids hated the letters and would completely transform into angels if the teachers threatened to send them to their parents. Usually three warnings then the letter. It dealt with many disruptive problems in the class and transformed the worst students into great students. But, as I said, this is what a friend done at an Institute and have no experience with this.

One last tip: Give a monthly schedule and evaluation for your students (I don't know if you do that as it isn't mentioned) but children need structure. If there is no structure, there is chaos. Try to enjoy your work as this will show in your classes and the students will find your classes great.