View Single Post
Unread Dec 10th, 2006, 08:30 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What level of English should a non-naive teacher have?

Well, sorry to pour some petrol on the flames of this debate, but the director and some Korean teachers I work with at the moment have poor English skills. One Korean teacher has never been abroad and I hear her shouting Korean jokes in English "Do you want to die?". I understand the difference in culture but there comes a point where a non-native English teacher is expected to have been abroad to understand the cultural and linguistic differences.

The second Korean English teacher has also never been abroad and has a very very very heavy Korean accent. He teaches English phonetics using the Korean alphabet and some conversations. It is also very teacher centred (repeat the teacher). When the students leave their class, I ask some questions or have some conversations that they have learnt and they can't recall what they have learnt.

However, my wife, who is Korean and lived in England for 10 years, has a very British accent and her Korean is considered posh now, and she teaches English. She understands Korean and English culture which helps her classes. She is going into my classes to replace me when I go for the CELTA Course for four-five weeks.

Nonetheless, I find it absolutely unbelievable that an English Teacher from Korea with no overseas experience can teach English in a school. I also find in unbelievable that they employ Korean English Teachers who are unable to communicate effectively with a native teacher.

Finally, the school I work with is called a "Native School" but I am the only native. I only cover 1/3 of classes and the rest are covered by one gyopo (who is very good) and two Korean teachers (who had not been abroad). Interesting topic nonetheless.