View Single Post
Unread Dec 19th, 2006, 11:32 pm
eslHQ Member

shannonsensei is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ESL songs for kids

i have to 2nd (or 3rd or 4th, whatever) the super simple songs recommendation.
i have been using these in my classrooms for about 6 months.
i teach a music class to about 40 2-4 year olds and this is the only CD that they regularly pay attention to. right now, they're begging me every day to do the rock, scissors,paper song.
this CD is also great in my baby classes, where i teach kids from 9 months and up.

i can see though that it may not work for kids that are a bit older. but i think it depends on the kids. generally speaking, the kids that i teach in the 6-8 year old range think that any song is terribly uncool.
for those ages though, you may want to check out a CD called "music and movement in the classroom". it's got some good songs that are a bit more advanced.

also...some general tips for teaching with songs:
*if you make up hand movements/dance movements to go with every song, kids like them better and learn them faster.
*i pick a set of songs for the month and repeat them every day. by the end of the month, the kids can usually sort of sing the song (i.e. if it's a fast one, they can usually sing a few of the key phrases and then mumble through the rest.)
*i also like to make up my own words to the tune of well known songs. for example at lunch i'll sing (to the tune of "where is thumbkin?":
where is lunch? where is lunch?
we don't know? we don't know?
are you hungry yuki? are you hungry rina?
yes i am. yes i am.

kids get a kick out of hearing their name in a song...

love,
shannon