View Single Post
Unread Feb 8th, 2007, 03:02 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hope + present for future

Quote:
Quote michèle 2
I hope your wishes come true.
I'm just wondering whether I could use "will" in this sentence instead of present simple.
Yes you can. The use of the first form comes just presents the action as a future event, whereas here will is making a prediction about the willingness of the person to come (remember the post about the uses of will and going to?). If you say I hope .. then you're making a prediction, so will is fine. So :
I hope he comes(in the future) or I hope he will come = I hope he agrees/will agree to come

But not came. I hope ... is seen as introducing a real prediction, so you need a first form verb (I'd avoid terms like present/past to describe verbs because they have no real meaning in terms of the English verb system, as these examples show. It's simpler to use first form - come/will/can etc and second form -came/would/could etc)

One use of the second form (came/would/could) is, as you say, to express hypothetical present events (I'm using present here to describe the time of the event not the verb). But when we're speaking hypothetically we switch to I wish ...

So to make a hypothetical prediction and/or to talk about hypothetical willingness, I hope becomes I wish and will (first form) becomes would(second form):
I wish he would come.

But it gets tricky. I wish he came... does not refer to a hypothetical future event. It's referring to a hypothetical habitual event (remember the first form can express real habitual events - he comes here often- so automatically the second form can express hypothetical habitual events) Here the real situation is he doesn't come very often so the hypothetical situation is I wish he came more often.

I hope that clarifies/will clarify the situation