View Single Post
Unread Mar 30th, 2007, 09:54 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching pronunciation to big groups

Hi Dave,

Teaching large classes always presents all sorts of problems. I've never had to work pronunciation into such a large class, except for the usual difficult phrase or word, which we repeat periodically through the lesson. So I'm not sure how helpful my advice will be.

But I always advocate listening exercises as take-home work, as this helps students develop an ear for trouble sounds. Usually, if the students can hear the correct sound, they're halfway there to producing it correctly (albeit, with a lot more work on their part). I've found that even if you teach how to produce the sound--where to place the tongue, how to form the lips, etc--they still need more practice and monitoring than can be done in a single lesson, let alone one with 90 students or more. What's more, they still can't necessarily *hear* the word from a native speaker, and they simply guess.

The homework should have a list of vocabulary words, with a pause after each one for the students to listen and repeat. It should also have the vocabulary words in context, so they can hear everything put together. Again, listen and repeat again and again and again is very important. Maybe you can set something up on your website for your students, assuming that they all have computers? You could also direct them to websites with extensive listening files, and then have them listen for particular words.

By the way, I like what you've put up on your site. How long have you been working on it?
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.