View Single Post
Unread Sep 18th, 2013, 10:13 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What does the sentence mean?

No. although indicates a relationship of concession between the two ideas- the discourse takes an unexpected direction. If you say that "I felt he was wrong" then I logically expect you to continue "so I told him so and explained the real situation". The use of although warns the listener that something "unexpected" will follow.
For example, Although he always arrives late and never does any work, we've decided to promote him.
The information at the beginning - he always arrives late and never does any work - would lead you to expect the speaker to say something like We're going to fire him. the connectives warn you that something unexpected will follow.

On the other hand is different - it expresses a contrast. Eg :
John really annoys me because he's so unpunctual. On the other hand, he's a very hard worker.
- here, there's a direct contrast between a negative quality (unpunctuality) and a positive quality (working hard).

But can be used both in contexts of concession (as in your two examples) and in contexts of contrast :
Concession - He always arrives late and never does any work, but we've decided to promote him.
Contrast - John's horribly unpunctual, but he's a very hard worker.