View Single Post
Unread Feb 13th, 2014, 05:03 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Schwa sound in main verbs that also function as auxiliary verbs.

No. The schwa occurs in unstressed syllables - the word type is irrelevant. For example, I've just used the verb main "occurs" : /ə'kɜ:z/

Some others : remember -/rɪmembə/; understand -/ʌndəstænd/; correct - /kərekt/ etc

Compare the two pronunciations of "was" in the following sentence :

She was there and he was too : /ʃi: wəz 'ðeə ən hi: 'wɒz 'tu:/

"was" is the main verb in each clause - but what decides the pronunciation is whether or not it's stressed. in unstressed position the weak form /wəz/ is used, and in stressed positions the strong form /wɒz/

Usually, as an auxiliary verb, Be occurs in unstressed position and it's therefore usually reduced. But that doesn't mean it can't occur in stressed position. Again, compare the two pronunciations of "was" in the following sentence, where it's used as an auxiliary. The first time it's unstressed and therefore reduced, the second it's stressed and therefore the strong form is used :

She said she was going and he said he was too : /ʃi: 'sed ʃi: wəz 'gəʊwɪŋ ən hi: 'sed hi: 'wɒz tu:/

Reduction doesn't always mean the schwa though. For example, "he" and "she" in this sentence, which occur in unstressed position, might well be reduced to /ʃɪ/ and /hɪ/. And the present form of the verb Be is more usually contracted, so that the vowel is omitted completely, rather than reduced to a schwa. A typical transcription of your sentences might be :

a) I'm happy to hear about her. /aɪm 'hæpɪ tə 'hɪə r ə'baʊt ə/

b) They were in the city for a tour /ðeɪ wə r ɪn ðə 'sɪtɪ fə r ə 'tʊə/

c) She was the first to know it. /ʃi: wəz ðə 'fɜ:s tə 'nəʊ w ɪt/

d) You're a teacher of English and Spanish. /jʊə r ə 'ti:ʧə r əv 'ɪŋglɪʃ ən 'spænɪʃ/

(The linking consonants should really be typed in subscript - ie smaller and lower than the others - but the site won't let me do it)

Last edited by susan53 : Apr 9th, 2014 at 10:18 am.