View Single Post
Unread Apr 16th, 2007, 07:08 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What podcasts do you listen to?

Hi Dave,

I just listened to the second podcast yesterday morning, the one on role-plays. Two weeks ago, I went to a lecture on role-plays. If you're interested, I can send you the handouts, unfortunately which are also filled with my scribble. I disagree with some of the points the presenter was making, but he had some good ideas overall.

It sounds like you worked into the class scripted role-plays (which I prefer to call dialogues) and goal-oriented role-plays. Did you have the students practice a scripted version first, so that they have the opportunity to see the language in context? I usually have everyone practice the dialogue several times, working in other tasks with each reading. I might also have them extend the dialogue, or even write a new one. This gives them the benefit of planning the conversation with the day's target language. Finally I'll move on to an unscripted role-play with a clear situation, characters, and goals. In my experience in a Japanese classroom, which may be different than what you're facing in China, the students are much more willing to participate if they have had ample time and practice to get comfortable with the target language.

Let me know about the presentation materials. I can scan the contents and send them to you.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.