View Single Post
Unread Oct 18th, 2015, 11:03 pm
eslHQ Zealot

FionaVB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please help with some game suggestions for kids with very very little English

Oh you poor thing. I imagine the school's resources would be very limited too - maybe no flashcards, perhaps books not printed in colour? Is there a photocopier? What about posters or pictures on the walls? I really enjoy teaching my "baby" classes of 4-5 year-olds, although there are only a few who are as raw as your students.

From hello, I would go to goodbye (or byebye); then I'm [name], I'm a boy/girl. Take 1 or 2 kids out of the room, saying bye-bye as you go, then after a few seconds (take the opportunity to count to 5) come back in saying Hello and How are you.

I would make my own flashcards of colours, so that those words can be introduced, with kids running to point to the right flashcard, or showing you something they own of the right colour. Then colour dictation, if they have crayons. Get a simple colouring picture so that they can colour the boy red and the girl green, for example.

These are just my very simple ideas from the normal first few sessions of my baby classes. I just felt so sorry for you in this situation with no one having replied yet!

Still, I think this is a fairly standard way to start introducing vocab - colours, and the most familiar nouns first, eg family members, animals, body parts, clothing. Games instructions are obviously beyond them, and maybe beyond you too if you have no teaching assistant and limited Chinese. But if you can at least say "Where is..." in the local dialect, with blue/red/whatever in English then the kids should be able to run and point to something for you.

Good luck!