View Single Post
Unread Apr 27th, 2016, 06:46 am
eslHQ Member

ESLteacherSalem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is anyone familiar with the Helen Doron schools?

After working for 10+ years as a ESL/EFL teacher, especially with gradeschoolers aged 6 - 13.
I have to say I have looked into the HD method (was looking to work there to be honest, went through all the testing) and have some reservations towards this method, here is why
1. The method is aimed at mainly babies, toddlers and preschoolers (maybe gradeschoolers up to the age of 9). Why?
  • It's basic drilling that can be seen in many other methods, such as the InLingua method and classic ESL/EFL methods.
  • Most teachers are (cheap labour) - non-native speakers with poor pronunciations (to my knowledge they also aim to hire non experienced teachers, straight out of school). You have quite a few examples on YT! For example a teacher told the kids to STAMP their feet, not STOMP! mind you!
  • The method is excellent for absolute beginners up until the age of 9. I got to be honest.
  • The method is VERY baby, toddler and preschooler friendly.
  • To my knowledge, they have only 1 lesson per week and you as a parent have to work daily with your kids at home!
  • It's one of the most expensive school in the country, if not the most expensive
  • The most expensive materials for class and home.
  • One method doesn't fit all ages, levels or learning styles.
  • Horrible contract for teacher? Not cool for very experienced (kid) teachers even insulting
  • You have to do a lot of drilling at home
These are just a few things I have noticed.

As an experienced ESL/EFL teacher, I have to say like all methods there is no such thing as a "ONE" perfect method fits all. Those are just lies.
Just because a method has been around for 26+ years, doesn't "really" mean anything to be honest. The only thing it actually means is that it works for some. No one really goes around bashing a method or school because it didn't work out for them, let's be honest.
I would say the only way you would know if this method works for your kid is to sign them up for class (not the demo class) and try it out for a few months or for a year.
As an native speaker and teacher, I would never let my kids learn a language with a non-native speaker (especially if it's an expensive school) or a native speaker teacher with no experience or qualifications. Sorry guys! Just because you can speak the language doesn't mean you can teach it and Just because you have a university degree doesn't mean that you can teach or speak a language.

I do believe in whatever Cambridge English advertises for any child over the age of 7+.
If you have a baby, toddler, preschooler or gradeschooler with NO english knowledge whatsoever; then, I would say yes give it a go! I do believe that the HD method could work out for you, but do keep in mind you will have to work with your kid at home. What I personally do not like.

I personally think a minimum of 2 lessons per week, 2x45 min, is a minimum for kids aged 7+ no matter what the level they are.
So this is my feedback based on everything I know about the HD method and from teachers that work there.