View Single Post
Unread Oct 22nd, 2019, 05:56 pm
eslHQ Member

GeorgeD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching Beginners Aged 5-8 - suggestions? :)

Hi Susan! Many thanks for your reply and suggestions. I would have to say that the prospect of doing this starting in just over 36 is hours is moderately terrifying!

You've hit upon my primary concerns there: the children's development at different ages.

Here in Bavaria children start school at seven (some sooner) and many go to kindergarten.

One who is defintely coming is a hyperactive 6-y-o boy of elementary level. Of the others, there are two girls - sisters - aged five and seven who know a handful of words each. There is another boy aged seven or eight who is a low elementary. Any others that may turn up on the day are as yet unknown.

The children here learn no English in school, and have widely varied L1 reading/writing abilities.

I may have enough ideas to do at least the first two sessions, after which I'll have a much clearer idea of the nature of the group. My plan is quite loose in that I have a number of activities and will choose which ones to use as the first session develops.

However, it's still the biggest challenge I've faced as a teacher for over 20 years with so many variables and uncertainties to contend with.