View Single Post
Unread Mar 17th, 2020, 06:24 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Synonym & grammar problem

Vocabulary

I'm going to have to use a few technical terms in answering this, but if any aren't clear you'll find a complete explanation and examples in the ELT Glossary

1. Dreadfully untrue : dreadfully is an intensifier so, the meaning is completely. The negative connotations of the word add to those of untrue so make it more negative than if you just said It's completely untrue. But there's not a great deal of difference.

2. Regular here means you behave just like.... So a paraphrase would be You're a complete actor! - in other words - You're Just pretending! Another example : He's always telling us what we should do - he's a regular dictator!

3. If the sentence you mean is I tucked in a bit of chickweed it means put in carefully - so eg I put a bit of chickweed into the cage - But it can also mean eat with pleasure so eg I put some chickweed into the cage and the canary tucked in. or The canary tucked into the chickweed which I put in the cage.

4. Veranda - yes, a porch.

Have to do something now but will come back to the grammar questions later or tomorrow if no-one else has.