Thread: to close in on
View Single Post
Unread Mar 29th, 2020, 03:53 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: to close in on

The extract you've given isn't fully logical but I've interpreted it as best I can.

It could mean "getting closer to proving that they were the criminals" or "getting closer to finding them" In the first case, the police suspect them but don't have enough concrete evidence at the moment to accuse them formally. But the more evidence they gather the closer they get to the moment where they can charge them with the crime.

In the second case, possibly eg they know they're in a certain area but don't know exactly where. This would seem to be suggested by the final sentence , but is illogical as they've already interviewed Bob so must know where he is.

The first sentence needs a comma :
Detective: "...do the right thing here Bob, for her mom. Tell us what you did with her body at least."

But the real problem is the following paragraph which..

a) is ungrammatical see the changes I've made in the versions below

b) doesn't make sense : "we" would appear to refer to the police, but "me" must be a third murderer - so the final paragraph is illogical.

c) is strange in terms of style. The first part of the paragraph is formal - it sounds like an official police statement, whereas the second part ins informal and sounds as if the third suspect is talking

It therefore needs rewriting completely. I'm guessing it should be either :

a) from a formal police report :

An arrest warrant has now been issued for all three suspects based on information which was received from a witness. The suspects robbed Kelly, and killed her by shooting her. We have arrested Smith, and are closing in on Brown, but still have no idea where to find Andrews.

b) narrated by the third suspect :

The police are now looking for all three of us, after they heard what a witness said. They know we robbed Kelly, and shot and killed her. They've arrested Bob and are closing in on Jim, but they still have no idea where to find me.