| | Challenges faced in teaching reading
I am a teacher volunteering at a community centre that provides free reading classes for underserved students. I would like to find out more about how we can partner with teachers in school to better support each child's reading development.
Being a teacher myself, some of the challenges that I've encountered are lack of time and resources, parent indifference and some students tend not to be motivated to read.
Your responses will be of great help to us!
1. What are some of the challenges in teaching reading?
and if you have any solutions,
2. What are some ways that you've tried to overcome those challenges? Did they work well? What did you not like about those solutions?
Some background info:
1. Mix ability: Most speak a different language at home but still have a low English proficiency (their first language usually differs from English grammatically e.g. tagalog, mandarin)
2. Most who come are between 5 to 9 years old
3. There are school-based additional programs for these students to help them develop phonetic awareness but not much more to propel them even further to handle more challenging texts which may require higher order thinking.
Last edited by chloe098 : Jul 28th, 2021 at 12:45 pm.
Reason: additional info