Thread: Phonics games?
View Single Post
Unread May 11th, 2007, 09:19 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

cabst90 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Phonics games?

Choose two or three sounds that are difficult for your students to distinguish. For example, I teach Japanese and Mexican students. All have trouble with th, s, and z. I put flashcards of the letters on the board. I say a word that may contain either of the letters and students run to the board to slap the correct letter.

I also use rhyming to reinforce the sounds. The students have to make up words that rhyme with the word that I say (even if it is not really a word, the sound is more important).

Dictation: You say a word that includes sounds that they students have learned. The students must write the word. You can do this in the game telephone as well so that everyone is speaking. You say the word to the first person. Every whispers the word to the next person. The last person writes it on paper, on the board, or with scrabble like word cards/tiles.

I made sets of letter cards (like scrabble) for the students to use in small groups or pairs. I say words and the students make the word with the letters. Stick with words that contain the sound that you are working with. It seems helpful to keep the principle sound constant and change only one letter at a time. For example, start with bat, next sat, mat, man, pan, etc.

hope this helps.