View Single Post
Unread Aug 31st, 2005, 03:23 am
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road
Default Mother-Kid class, an update

Well, I took the whole summer off and now I'm back, getting ready to start teaching again this week.

I just wanted to update my story in this thread and let you know how my (short) experience went.

I discovered after I started teaching the mother-child combo (one mother and her 9 year old son) that the main reason for the mother to stay for the lesson was probably a transportation issue (the class was a bit to far for her to drive home and return conveniently). Also, like Miriam mentioned above, both their schedules (the mother and son) were quite full, and this was probably the only hour and a half during the whole day that they had time to share.

That being said, the mother was quite helpful during the lesson time: she would discipline her son if need be, and that was rare. I taught the child and frankly speaking, ignored the mother until the last part of the lesson when I would include her in the game to make it more interesting (not too many very fun games for 1on1 situations). So in that sense, her being there was helpful. I'm sure she got some useful listening practice in as well.

What I never really became comfortable with in the 2 months that we had class, despite everyone being so nice, was the feeling of being observed. I'm sure her son felt that pressure, too. I would have been more my silly self had the mother not been watching, and the son could have loosened up as well: it's tough for a 9 year old boy to sit with his back straight and not fidget or joke for a whole 90 minute block!

That's my sum of the pluses and minuses I experienced. Now that I'm getting back in the teaching groove, I'd like to discuss this topic more, too!

Ciao.
Karen