eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Article Tools Display Modes
Using Powerpoint Presentations for ESL Teaching Using Powerpoint Presentations for ESL Teaching
By Futonge Kisito, Teacher/Webmaster
kisito
Jun 28th, 2007

Using PowerPoint Presentations in ESL Classrooms

What is PowerPoint?
Powerpoint presentations are excellent for teaching large ESL classes of students. Powerpoint helps concentration and guarantees effective learning if everything goes according to plan.PowerPoint is a software bundled in MS office and used for creating presentations usually in the form of slideshows. Over the years Microsoft has been updating the software, each time making it even better. Your computer might already have PowerPoint installed.

Why use PowerPoint presentations in ESL Classrooms?

My experience

Teaching English or any other language especially to large classes of kindergarten, primary schools and absolute beginner students can prove to be a nightmare at times. As a teacher of large classes especially, I found the use of PowerPoint presentations a great aid in my teaching (by large classes I mean classes of 40-80 students). In China where I teach, large classes are not uncommon.)
So how do you teach a class of 50-60 students staring at you, hungry for knowledge?
Luckily, most classrooms in China are well equipped with overhead projectors and in some cases they have school computer networks and classrooms P.A Systems.
Being a novice in using the computer, I always did not know how to get started. However, when I eventually began using MS PowerPoint to create classroom presentations, I soon realized the similarities it shares with MS word, which I was vaguely familiar with at the time. In a few weeks of using PowerPoint presentations, I was amazed by the results. All of a sudden my students could concentrate long enough for me to drive home new language points. With new language points well into their brains, classroom games followed with ease. This was when I understood why some of my brilliant games had failed in the past.
At the end of the semester, my class of 50 students all passed their English exams, with 10 students scoring 100% in the final test and the least score being a 66% pass. Note that test papers of final exams in most schools in China are usually corrected by a teacher who does not know the students. Not surprisingly my class’ English test average surprised the other Chinese teachers.
It would not be an overstatement to say that if well planned, PowerPoint presentations can take away 50-70% of the burden of presenting new vocabulary to large classes.

So what about small classes? Needless to say that most often it is easier to teach smaller language classes than large ones. I have only focused on large classes because that is the area where using PowerPoint has solved a great deal of problems for teachers. Well, let me sum it up this way. If PowerPoint presentations are great for large classes, then they make teaching smaller classes seem too easy.

How can I obtain PowerPoint presentations?

If you are worried that your computer skills are not yet ripe for you to make great presentations, then try downloading ready-made PowerPoint lessons which you can just modify and use. These are among the best presentations:
- Free Downloads for ESL Teaching, Powerpoint, Video Slides, E-books, MP3 Audio & Worksheets (free sample downloads of powerpoint with excellent audio and animation)
- ESL, English Grammar Exercises, Video lessons,quizzes, Vocabulary Exercises (powerpoint video slides for self-tutoring)
- ESL PowerPoint downloads,PowerPoint lessons, ppt for teaching English vocabulary (sample downloads teachers)
- ESL Powerpoint Downloads, Lesson plan resources for teachers

PowerPoint that talks? Video Slides from Powerpoint

Although this can be time-consuming, you can convert PowerPoint presentations to videos. One website which has done great work in this area is my ESL, English Grammar Exercises, Video lessons,quizzes, Vocabulary Exercises. There are over sixty PowerPoint video lessons, with pictures and sounds well done with the student in mind. Thousands of visitors use this website to study using a self-access method.
There are also ESL lessons for Ipod users created using converted PowerPoint here: ESL video podcasts, download videos for learning with ipod and PC
This website EFL Activities for kids, printable ESL Worksheets, EFL Videos, Exercises for Children, Young Learners specifically for teachers of kids and young learners also has a good number of ESL Video slides and free downloads for teachers. There are PowerPoint presentations that talk on this site, opening a new perspective on teaching with computer-assisted technology. With these resources, my students always seem one step ahead of other classes of their level.

Problems involved with using PowerPoint lesson plans

PowerPoint presentation for teaching large classes relies heavily on projectors which can be quite expensive to acquire. When schools manage to spend a fortune on these gadgets, there isn’t always a guarantee they will work round the clock. Hardware failure is not an uncommon problem in the world of technology.
You might have planned that demo lesson of yours all around PowerPoint and it is that day that something goes wrong with the projector. Maybe the teacher whose lessons just ended set the projector differently. You may need to reset things to suit your lesson. You can’t do this without wasting some time. Even your little flash drive might not work properly.
The solution is always to carry a back up in the form of a non-PowerPoint lesson plan or a device. Usually this would be the same lesson plan without PowerPoint.Remember you can print your presentations and easily turn them into flashcards.
Don’t always rely on PowerPoint presentations for lesson planning. Use PowerPoint and other methods interchangeably. Check hardware prior to your lesson.
Written by
Futonge Kisito
Webmaster/TEFL teacher/trainer
ESL, English Grammar Exercises, Video lessons,quizzes, Vocabulary Exercises
EFL Activities for kids, printable ESL Worksheets, EFL Videos, Exercises for Children, Young Learners
Free ESL Worksheets, English Teaching Materials, ESL Lesson Plans
ESL Downloads, podcasts, videos, mp3, ebooks, quizzes, powerpoint, worksheets

Copyright 2006 Futonge N. Kisito
Article Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

pmzadl on Jul 28th, 2007, 11:52 pm
Default Re: Using Powerpoint Presentations for ESL TEaching

Excellent. It answer most of my questions and encouraged me to use it.
Eric18 on Sep 26th, 2007, 10:15 pm
Default Re: Using Powerpoint Presentations for ESL TEaching

Thank you for posting this excellent primer on PowerPoint presentations.