eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Advertise Your Services (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/advertise-your-services/)
-   -   New medical English website (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/advertise-your-services/new-medical-english-website-6910/)

ricardos Dec 8th, 2007 05:06 am

New medical English website

TALKING MEDICINE Medical English - TALKING MEDICINE offers online listening practice with transcripts , vocabulary study and pronunciation, based on authentic material. Audio is downloadable MP3. Try it free.

mesmark Dec 8th, 2007 08:13 pm

Re: New medical English website

The site looks interesting. Good luck with it!

Denis DNT Dec 15th, 2007 11:30 am

Looks interesting. Any CDs available?

ricardos Jan 13th, 2008 12:23 pm

Currently there are none, but you can make your own from downloadable MP3. Would you find ready-made CDs useful ?

Denis DNT Jan 14th, 2008 12:12 am

Yeah sure,
I look forward to that. Let me know if any are available.
I have a few medical students.

puu_sawn Jan 14th, 2008 08:58 am

Great site! I will checking out the free trial.

Speaking of medical English, is there was a website were I could find materials to help students with English for more basic routine doctor visits, prescriptions etc? The link above seems more for medical students. I work with adults in the USA who are learning English.

ricardos Jan 14th, 2008 09:14 am

Indeed, TALKING MEDICINE is designed specifically for medical students and doctors who want regular exposure to authentic material with exercises from the language perspective. For more basic medical english, like doctor-patient dialogues try Medical English online exercises and games. Course suitable for doctors, nurses and pharmacists.

Best regards

Ricardos

Eric18 Jul 29th, 2008 10:00 am

Excellent tip! I'll share with a friend teaching future nurses in Los Angeles.

Very practical.

mesmark Jul 30th, 2008 04:11 am

There's also
Hospital English.com - Medical English worksheets, teaching resources and free activities for healthcare professionals

Eric18 Jul 30th, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks!

These two websites will definitely help. In Los Angeles, we have a very complicated nursing shortage... and the standards for speaking English continue to evolve (downwards.) Now there are several training programs being created to respond to the situation.

rabble Aug 2nd, 2008 07:13 am

Eric, I do think your conversations are compelling but I think that for me personally is to teach the students the language and structure to be able to actually express their answers at the level I teach.
To be honest I think most native speakers could benefit from your book.
I remember at my local adult education centre they held a class on The Art of Converstion. I thought it was a bit silly at the time but not anymore.
When I was 11 years old I read how to win friends and influence people, sad really. But I wasn't feeling comfortable at the time. One thing I retained was to ask people about themselves in an interested way, not prying and know the difference.
Good on you

rabble Oct 9th, 2008 01:43 am

I have just been browsing this site and I feel like such an idiot posting my last reply on the wrong thread. My apologies.
I have used the hospital english material. When a new hospital opened I was invited to teach and used this site. I thought it quite limited

Eric18 Oct 9th, 2008 06:40 pm

Quote:

Quote rabble (Post 16744)
Eric, I do think your conversations are compelling but I think that for me personally is to teach the students the language and structure to be able to actually express their answers at the level I teach.
To be honest I think most native speakers could benefit from your book.
I remember at my local adult education centre they held a class on The Art of Converstion. I thought it was a bit silly at the time but not anymore.
When I was 11 years old I read how to win friends and influence people, sad really. But I wasn't feeling comfortable at the time. One thing I retained was to ask people about themselves in an interested way, not prying and know the difference.
Good on you

You may be right! To my surprise, several people have suggested I create a version - minus the vocabulary words and with more tips and contextual information, for native speakers. One co-worker even showed me a small library of books on conversation skills, especially for engineeers and shy people.

Perhaps, in the future, I will follow your sound advice and create that book too.

Thanks for the encouragement and gentle nudge.