eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Advertise Your Services (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/advertise-your-services/)
-   -   Video Activity Library for Teachers & Students (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/advertise-your-services/video-activity-library-teachers-students-43625/)

richardavie Mar 18th, 2012 06:03 am

Video Activity Library for Teachers & Students

Hello All,

I'm writing to make you aware of a video activity library I'm working on. They follow the format of: 2-3min video clip, script and discussion questions. The idea is that students can listen, listen and read, then discuss and answer questions.

They are very simple and easy to use. Try them out! I'm aiming for something slightly provocative, something that will grab the students' attention and spark discussion. So far all of these have been tried out and worked very well.

Video activities « TEFL Iberia

I'm updating them and adding more regularly.

Thanks,

Richard

Denis DNT Apr 1st, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Video Activity Library for Teachers & Students

I wish I could watch some of your videos Richard. Unfortunately I can't view the videos. Not your fault though. It's because the videos are You Tube based. You Tube is blocked in China where I am based.
I was going to view them and then include a link to your website on our useful links page because our students should be very interested in such videos.

richardavie Apr 14th, 2012 10:04 am

That's a shame! I'm trying to think of a solution, what websites do you use for watching videos in China?

Denis DNT Apr 19th, 2012 10:26 pm

In China they have tried to make a near copy of most of the media in the West. Then to promote these copies, they block access to the western stuff.

YouTube, Daily Motion = Youku, Tudou
Facebook, Myspace, Orkut, etc = Ren Ren
Twitter = Weibo
Google = Baidu.

If you want your videos to reach the millions of ESL learners in China, you may want to get on the websites Youku and Tudou.

I have a rich ESL video section on my website too. You could upload samples of your videos there and then link back to your site. I am sure students and teachers on my site will follow.
My website is called MyEE Online.

Eric18 Jul 30th, 2012 01:29 pm

Thank you Richard and Dennis for the helpful, practical tips. I have been trying to incorporate far more online video activities - especially for homework assignments - to "flip" the classes so students have to summarize and share the information. While my current materials work with more advanced students at high school and university levels, I'm keenly aware that I need to develop more materials for lower level students at younger ages. Your materials seem like good place to begin.
By the way, you might find this TED talk on "Behind China's Firewall" of interest that was released earlier today. Michael Anti: Behind the Great Firewall of China | Video on TED.com
Combined with your information on alternatives to YouTube, China and the information race seem to be the hot topic of my morning.

richardavie Nov 30th, 2012 07:28 am

Hi Eric18,

Thanks a lots for the feedback and especially for pointing out the TED talk, it's interesting stuff! I've used a few of those for listening activities too, the content is good and they sometimes have the options of subtitles if necessary.

Thanks,

Richard

Denis DNT Feb 8th, 2013 10:21 pm

The latest social networking tool here is the one called wechat. It's spreading like wild fire. From type, audio, video chat to picture, video sharing all offered for free. I used to struggle with VPNs everyday to keep in touch with western websites but now I am almost completely cut off. I can't even remember the last time I logged on to facebook, twitter or skype.