eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   English Questions (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/)
-   -   Any difference between " it" and '"that" (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/any-difference-between-9065/)

michèle 2 Jul 1st, 2008 08:39 am

Any difference between " it" and '"that"

This morning during my adult one to one class we came across the following example in a conversation.
He's having his first lesson today. He's going to the driving school at lunch time. He's really excited about it.
My student asked if she could say " he's really excited about that"
It refers to "he's having his first lesson" Does "that" refers to the previous sentence I mean "he's going to the driving school"
Is there a "rule" for "it" and "that"
thanks for your help

susan53 Jul 2nd, 2008 08:00 am

Re: Any difference between " it" and '"that"

That, is used to refer back to something which has previously been said in a conversation. It can be glossed as "what was just said" - eg :
A : Is your name Fred? B : That's right. ie What you just said is right. Here It is not possible. It would refer not to the utterance but to the thing - the name itself as in No, it's Bill. (ie, No my name is Bill)
But in your example the student could be saying either ....
1. He's really excited about going to the driving school (ie referring to the event, so ... about it) or .... 2. He's really excited about "what I just said" (so, ... about that).
Here then, both are possible, depending on how you interpret the student's meaning. When there is a choice and that is chosen, it tends to be more emphatic than just using it.

EngliPatrick Jul 2nd, 2008 08:49 am

Susan, can I have your brain?

mesmark Jul 3rd, 2008 07:41 am

Patrick, you should go get an MA in TESOL. (Not becuase you need it but because you seem really interested in grammar.)

michèle 2 Jul 3rd, 2008 08:06 am

:)Thanks Sue. It's very clear. Now I can make the difference between it and that.
I'm glad you're back to the forums.
thanks a lot

EngliPatrick Jul 3rd, 2008 08:56 am

Quote:

Quote mesmark (Post 16354)
Patrick, you should go get an MA in TESOL. (Not becuase you need it but because you seem really interested in grammar.)

But, Susan's brain would be much faster and cheaper...

susan53 Jul 4th, 2008 04:27 am

Quote:

Quote EngliPatrick (Post 16323)
Susan, can I have your brain?

Ho ho - I've only just caught up on this. But you might not want it Patrick. This is the brain that once put the dirty socks in the fridge and the butter in with the washing..... (any idea what half a pound of churned up, melted fat does to your washing machine?)

clivehawkins Jul 4th, 2008 01:27 pm

Quote:

Quote michèle 2 (Post 16355)
:)
I'm glad you're back to the forums.

I'd go along with that!
Welcome back Sue

Beatrix Jul 5th, 2008 08:14 am

yesssssssss
welcome back!