eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 10th, 2007, 04:58 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Regional Capital ???

Italy is divided administratively into Regions - the equivalent (though with differences in degree of autonomy etc) of counties in Britain or states in the US. Each region has its administrative centre in one main town, and the literal translation of the name for this town would the regional capital. eg Milan is the regional capital of Lombardy.

But capital sounds wrong to me used at a below-national level. The British equivalent is County Town - but county is so specifically british that it sounds wrong in an Italian context.

What's the equivalent in the States? Do you talk about a State capital or is there another term? How would you translate the idea when talking about countries with different administrative systems - in Japan for instance with the system of prefectures?
Unread Oct 10th, 2007, 06:26 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Regional Capital ???

We do use the term state capital.

"Oklahoma City is the state capital of Oklahoma."

For Japan. I'd say something like:

"Nagano City is the capital of Nagano Prefecture."

"Prefectural capital" is probably an option but it sounds 'forced.' Could you just drop the 'regional' part and still have it be understood that you are talking about a smaller area. In this way, it's clear that Lombardy is a region/area and Milan is its capital.

"Milan is the capital of Lombardy."

It sounds fine to me this way. 'regional capital' might cause me to wonder what that is. (But of course, not to seem ignorant I wouldn't interupt you. I'd just pretend I understand )
Unread Oct 10th, 2007, 11:30 am
Sue

Quote:
(But of course, not to seem ignorant I wouldn't interupt you. I'd just pretend I understand )
So that's what my students mean when they give me that big toothy grin ...

OK, capital it is. Thanks. I still balk at it, but I think this time I'll have to override myself (yuk, messy ....)

The sheep have no meaning - I just like them ...
Unread Oct 11th, 2007, 01:04 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

I was asked the same question in my University class last week, and I too couldn't think of the answer. We settled on regional capital in the end, having dismissed main city, administrative centre and head city.

It's one of those that comes up occasionally and slaps you in the face. Makes you realise you've been away too long!

By the way Susan, how do you translate 'in giro'? I always get asked and as yet have never come up with a really good answer.

Where did you go?
In giro. (Just out \ here and there \ around \ nowhere in particular )

(I'm guessing they use this expression in Milan too)

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Oct 11th, 2007, 07:10 am
Sue

It's one of those expressions that isn't really translatable - I think you come as close as is possible with your suggestions.

Now - how about "giunta" and "assessore" ? For those of you who don't speak Italian : in Italy the local councils are elected, as in Britain. The Mayor (or President at a Provincial or Regional level) is also elected. but s/he then forms a "giunta" of "assessori" - a sort of cabinet of ministers with special responsibilities. These people are not elected and do not come from the Council - the jobs are usually shared out between the political parties which make up the governing coalition. What would you call them in English ? In Britain the post exists but the holders have to come from the Council, so they're just Councillors. I've discarded cabinet and ministers as it would only be used at national level. I've toyed with Commission and Commissioners, but that to me sounds specifically EU. I've ended up with Executive Committee and Executive Committee Member - but what a mouthful. Any ideas? Or is there anything similar in the States?
Unread Oct 16th, 2007, 10:55 pm
eslHQ Member

sunhelen is on a distinguished road

How are these things referred to in official translations such as in EU English language documents?