eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   English Questions (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/)
-   -   difference between "done with..." vs "through with ..." (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/difference-between-done-vs-through-14799/)

mesmark Dec 11th, 2009 06:15 pm

difference between "done with..." vs "through with ..."

A student was asking what the difference in nuance is between "done with..." vs "through with ..." I was a little stumped but came up with this:

"done with..." - simply finished with something, possibly for the time being (I might do it, need it or want it again)

"through with ..." - completely finished with something and I don't need it anymore

I had a few examples but for instance

"Are you done with the hammer?" - I want to use it for a bit.

"Are you through with the hammer?" - I want to put it away.

Or, are they completely interchangeable?

I told my student they were pretty much interchangeable but since she's very high level she wants to know about the finer nuances. Any help or thoughts on this are much appreciated.

susan53 Dec 12th, 2009 07:05 am

Re: difference between "done with..." vs "through with ..."

The only thing I can think of is that, if I were annoyed, I'd probably choose "through with". Eg a student who continually asks for extra hw and then never does it : I'm through with creating exercises for Stefano when he never does them. "Done" there wouldn't be possible, I don't think - ?

Or is it not the annoyance but a difference between whether I'm talking about a concrete object or less tangible action ?

alawton Dec 14th, 2009 10:46 pm

To me to be "done with..." sounds a little stronger than to be "through with...". I guess it all depends on the context of the sentence.

michèle 2 Dec 16th, 2009 03:43 am

Would "done" be possible instead of 'through' in Marilyn Monroe's song : I'm through with love?:tea:

susan53 Jan 1st, 2010 04:20 pm

Hi Michelle - a belated reply because of the Christmas holidays - I've been in snowy Germany for two weeks, and am now back in foggy Milan ... But yes - for me there would be no difference in that context.

michèle 2 Jan 2nd, 2010 04:02 am

Hi Sue,
Thanks. and all the best for 2010 . I now teach French in Charente Maritime and live in the middle of the vineyards. I don't miss Paris at all and have lots of fun with my English students struggling to learn French!! The funny thing is that we have to review some of the English grammar points to understand French structures. So I'm sure i'll need eslhq forums for your invaluable knowledge about the English grammar. The weather is gorgeous today sunny and dry. Happy New Year to all eslhq members!:typing:

mesmark Jan 4th, 2010 04:38 am

Quote:

Quote michèle 2 (Post 25387)
Would "done" be possible instead of 'through' in Marilyn Monroe's song : I'm through with love?:tea:

Seems like either would be fine in American English.