eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   English Questions (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/)
-   -   fair game (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/fair-game-70520/)

fface Dec 7th, 2018 01:44 pm

fair game

Hi,

1. What does 'fair game' mean here?

"It's all fair game if they even think they can trace it to ill-gotten games."

2. What does 'flip on someone' mean?

"Ted is still at large and they want John to flip on him."

Thank you very much.

susan53 Dec 8th, 2018 04:48 am

Re: fair game

1. Fair game

"Game" = animals shot for sport or food. Eg someone who hunts lions and other large predators is known as a "big game hunter". Obviously there are strict regulations for hunting - seasons when you can and can't hunt certain animals, regulations concerning whether the animal must be male or female, what age it must have reached etc. So if something is "fair game" it means that you are hunting it legally, following the rules.

The expression is generally used metaphorically, as in your example. As another example, if a politician has made pre-election promises which were not kept after the election, then s/he is "fair game" for criticism by the opposition, the media etc - ie they have the right (=it's fair) to attack (=hunt) him/her.

Notice that you've misquoted the final expression in your example. It should be "ill-gotten gains". "ill" is used in its old meaning of "badly", so "ill-gotten gains" are things that have been acquired illegally or unfairly in some way.

You don't give the source, but I traced it to an episode of Desperate Housewives (oh, the wonders of Google!). One of the characters (Gabrielle) is talking to her lawyer who seems to be explaining that another character (her husband?) intends to take her to court and claim the right to all her money/possessions (ie her "gains"). She is saying that, in fact, they were all legally acquired by her (ie are "fair game") even if her husband's lawyers will claim that they are not legally hers but "ill-gotten".

2. Ted is still at large and they want John to flip on him

First of all, you need to understand that "at large" means still free, and not yet arrested by the police. A criminal might be "at large" because the police can't find him/her or, as it seems in this case, because they don't have the proof necessary for the arrest. That's why they want John to "flip on" him - ie to betray him and give them the evidence they need to arrest him.

Hope that's all clear.

fface Dec 9th, 2018 04:11 pm

Hi susan,

After reading your reply, I'm afraid I'm still confused about 'fair game' in that context. I'm sorry I didn't give you the source in the first place and sorry about the typo (ill-gotten games). Here is more context quoted from the internet as follows:

"FBI:FBI. Open the door.Carlos Solis, I have a warrant for your arrest.

Judge Sullivan: "So, what's your issue with bail in this case, Ms. McCready?
Ms. McCready: "We want bail denied, your honor. The defendant's company imported goods manufactured by slave labor, and his business partner, Mr. Tenaka, has already fled the country. And Mr. Solis, himself, has refused to surrender his passport."

Judge Sullivan: "Dog ate your client's passport, Mr. Hartley?"
Mr. Hartley: "It's been temporarily misplaced, your honor, but we maintain that Akisha Tenaka set up and executed the entire operation. Mr. Solis is no business partner, but merely a hired contractor. And I'd also like to point out that my client is the sole provider of his wife, and his mother, who is hospitalized in a coma as we speak."

Judge Sullivan: "Bring me the passport, and Mr. Solis can visit his mother. Until then, your client is denied bail and remanded. What's next?"。

Gabrielle: "Yao Lin, listen to me. It's very important that we find Carlos' passport. I've already looked through his office, so I need you to search the bedroom."
Gabrielle: "What?"
Yao Lin: "With Mr. Solis in jail, how are you going to pay me? I have children."
Gabrielle: "Yao Lin, your kids are in their twenties. If it'll make you shut up..."
Gabrielle: "Here. Three weeks in advance."

Yao Lin: "If you don't mind, can I call your bank?"
Gabrielle: "Yao Lin, don't be stupid. People don't become poor overnight."
Gabrielle: "Huh? That's my car! Oh my god!"
Gabrielle: "Hey! Hey! What are you doing? Where are you taking my car?"
Tow guy: "The government is impounding it. Here's your receipt. Call that number if you have any questions."

Gabrielle: "How am I supposed to live without a car?"
Lawyer: "Gabrielle, listen. Tanaka is still at large, and they're going to want Carlos to flip on him, so this is their way of playing hardball. Now, I'm guessing that they've not done yet."

Gabrielle: "Why? What else could they take from us?"
Lawyer: "Pretty much anything. It's all fair game if they even think they can trace it to ill-gotten gains

Gabrielle: "No, no, no. No! Some of this stuff is mine. When I modeled. Before I even met Carlos! See this, kosta boda, bought it when I landed my first cover. This, I spent eight hours on a rock in a bikini for that painting!"

Lawyer: "I understand how you feel."
Gabrielle: "No, you don't understand. I have dug myself up from dirt to afford these things, and no one is going to take them away from me!"
Lawyer: "Then I suggest you find yourself a good hiding place. They can't take what they can't find. Oh, and if you could scare up that passport too, that would be good!"

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

susan53 Dec 10th, 2018 03:18 am

It's the same as I said except that the context suggests that it's the police / other authorities rather than her husband who are trying to take things. They've impounded her car - claiming that her husband Carlos is Tanaka's business partner and is therefore implicated in his crimes. If he doesn't co-operate (flip on Tanaka) they are liable to start impounding other things - the family's house, bank account, whatever. The lawyer is explaining that the police see it all as "fair game" - ie things they can rightfully take from Carlos as all the things have been acquired illegally (are ill-gotten gains). But of course if they do, it will affect his wife, Gabrielle, which is why she's worrying.

The only odd thing about the sentence is "even if" which would make much more sense if it was "given that". A slip in the filming that wasn't noticed maybe.

fface Dec 16th, 2018 03:36 pm

Quote:

Quote susan53 (Post 88644)
First of all, you need to understand that "at large" means still free, and not yet arrested by the police. A criminal might be "at large" as it seems in this case, because they don't have the proof necessary for the arrest. That's why they want John to "flip on" him - ie to betray him and give them the evidence they need to arrest him.

Hope that's all clear.

Hi susan,

Can I use 'on the run' in the context above because the police don't have the proof necessary they need to arrest him?

Thanks a lot.

susan53 Dec 17th, 2018 02:21 am

No - because if the police don't have the necessary proof for to arrest a specific person, then there is no reason for the suspect to be "hiding". If I say "the criminal is still at large" it means either
a) The police don't know who the criminal is (or can't prove it even if they suspect) and therefore no specific individual is implicated. They just know that there is a criminal and s/he is still free.
or
b) The police know who the criminal is and have enough proof for the arrest, but can't find the person. S/he is "on the run"
So, as I said, "at large" can be used in both contexts, but "on the run" is more specific and restricted to the second situation.

fface Dec 22nd, 2018 03:22 pm

Hi susan,

What's the difference between "at large" and "on the loose"?

Thank you very much.
I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year.

susan53 Dec 24th, 2018 07:58 am

I think they're more or less synonymous. Eg here they'd be interchangeable :

1.With a dangerous and convicted murderer ON THE LOOSE and various alleged sightings of her, authorities hoped to quickly allay public concerns..

When the person/animal/thing is free but restricted to a certain area, then maybe on the loose is more likely - eg:

2. More than 100 prisoners are still ON THE LOOSE in 5 wings of the jail
3. Mystery drone still ON THE LOOSE at Gatwick airport.

On the loose
gives prominence to the idea of "free/uncaptured" whereas at large gives more prominence to the idea "it could be anywhere". So it depends which aspect you want to emphasise.

fface Dec 28th, 2018 04:31 pm

Quote:

Quote susan53 (Post 88660)
I think they're more or less synonymous. Eg here they'd be interchangeable :

1.With a dangerous and convicted murderer ON THE LOOSE and various alleged sightings of her, authorities hoped to quickly allay public concerns..

Hi susan,
Does 'on the run' also sound natural in the example above?

Can I use at large and on the run in the example below?

"More than 100 prisoners are still ON THE LOOSE in 5 wings of the jail"

Thanks a lot.

fface Dec 28th, 2018 05:19 pm

Quote:

Quote susan53 (Post 88654)
If I say "the criminal is still at large" it means either
a) The police don't know who the criminal is (or can't prove it even if they suspect) and therefore no specific individual is implicated. They just know that there is a criminal and s/he is still free.
or
b) The police know who the criminal is and have enough proof for the arrest, but can't find the person. S/he is "on the run"
So, as I said, "at large" can be used in both contexts, but "on the run" is more specific and restricted to the second situation.

Can I use 'on the loose' in both situations like 'at large' above?

Thank you very much.

susan53 Dec 29th, 2018 05:23 am

In the first - yes. No-one knows who or where the murderer is, but there certainlyisa murderer and s/he is therefore "on the loose"

In the second, no if you are referring to the person suspected. You can only be "on the loose" if you can't be found. in the second case, the police know where their suspect is, they just don't have enough evidence to do anything.

fface Dec 30th, 2018 04:17 pm

Quote:

Quote susan53 (Post 88666)

the police know where their suspect is, they just don't have enough evidence to do anything.

Hi susan,

In this situation above, can I say the suspect is at large or on the loose?

Thanks a lot.

susan53 Jan 1st, 2019 03:53 am

No - it's not the suspect who is on the loose/at large, but the criminal.

fface Jan 3rd, 2019 05:49 pm

Quote:

Quote susan53 (Post 88660)

When the person/animal/thing is free but restricted to a certain area, then maybe on the loose is more likely - eg:

2. More than 100 prisoners are still ON THE LOOSE in 5 wings of the jail

Hi susan,

What does this sentence above mean? Does it mean those prisoners escaped from the jail and still can't be found?

Can I use 'at large' or 'on the run' instead of 'on the loose' here?

Thank you for your reply.

susan53 Jan 4th, 2019 03:13 am

No - it means that they are free within that area (the 5 wings of the jail) and can't be controlled and confined to their cells. The authorities don't know exactly where any one prisoner is within the prison and the prisoners are in charge. As I said before "on the loose" = free and uncaptured, which is the situation here.
As I also said before at large is less likely in this context, and on the run is impossible because they can't "run" anywhere - they're still confined within the prison. Again, see the previous comments - on the run = in hiding. These prisoners aren't hiding. Their general location is known.

fface Jan 5th, 2019 05:29 pm

Quote:

Quote susan53 (Post 88666)

You can only be "on the loose" if you can't be found.

Hi susan,

I don't understand what you mean here?
Do you mean a suspect who can't be found by the police is on the loose but not at large or on the run?

Many thanks.

susan53 Jan 6th, 2019 09:01 am

No - and you've taken my explanation out of context. You were then talking specifically about a suspect, not a wanted criminal. A suspect is an ordinary person without restrictions, and can therefore be wherever they want to be. When you're talking about a suspect, none of these expressions is really relevant. There is no reason why they should not be "free" or "under control".

You must distinguish between a suspect and a wanted criminal. To summarise:

If a criminal - ie someone who the police want to arrest for a crime - is in hiding and cannot be found, then s/he can be described as "on the loose", "at large" or "on the run" - all three are fine.

- on the loose : free, potentially dangerous or disruptive and not under control
- at large : free, potentially dangerous or disruptive and not under control
- on the run : free, wanted by and in hiding from the police

I don't think there's any more I can say about these expressions. Perhaps someone else could clarify them better.