eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 13th, 2007, 05:41 pm
Hayet

Hayet Maamouri is on a distinguished road
Question how to motivate pupils?

please, I would like some help. I would like to know if anybody has ever feared to loose some of his pupils because they are no more interested in his/her lessons. Can you give tips to make my lessons more motivating and challenging. Thanks a lot.
Unread Jan 14th, 2007, 12:15 pm
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how to motivate pupils?

Could you give us some details like how old they are, how many in the class, what level and how you usually structure the classes?
Unread Jan 14th, 2007, 07:19 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

Like Susan says, age is a big factor, how old are they?

For more mature students, give them some input into the class - ask them what activities they enjoy or what they want more or less of.
Unread Jan 14th, 2007, 07:32 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote emile
For more mature students, give them some input into the class - ask them what activities they enjoy or what they want more or less of.
I used to do this but my experience was that it would backfire. I would ask the students what they wanted to do and they'd tell me and I'd do it only to have them complaining a month later that they didn't like what we were doing. I think it's because the students don't really know what they want or understand what they need.

If you do ask your students what they want more or less of, my advice is to set a portion of the class aside for doing that but spend the rest of the class doing what they need.

We also did a show on motivating students at ESL Teacher Talk.
http://www.eslteachertalk.com/2006/1...ly-challenged/

It might be helpful.

Eric
Unread Jan 15th, 2007, 11:20 am
Hayet

First of all let me thank you for your help. I'm teaching 11-14 years old kids. 11-12 pupils would be considerate brginners. But 13-14 would be considered post beginners if it's correct to say that. most of the time, i start loosing them because they find it hard to follow the pace of good achievers in class- by the way classes here count 25, 30 and even 34 pupils. Taking into account discipline problems, lack of motivation it becomes difficult to teach and try plenty of games, fun activities to win back those lazy or desinterested pupils.
Some 'experienced' advice would be more than welcome.
Unread Jan 15th, 2007, 11:34 am
Hayet

Quote:
Quote susan53
Could you give us some details like how old they are, how many in the class, what level and how you usually structure the classes?
I'm teaching post beginners ( pupils who have been studying Eng lish for two years) This years' program is more complicated. they have to learn plenty of grammar rules, new structures. Besides, I only meet them twice a week: each session lasts 1 hour. Exams are approching and i can't see how I can help desinterested ones; those who think that English is hard.
Thank you for your help
Unread Jan 15th, 2007, 04:53 pm
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

I used to walk into a class and ask the students what they wanted to do. I would tell them that we would do that for the last part of the class - the fun activity. but then again i taught youngins and i found it easy to keep them motivated and interested...