eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 15th, 2010, 10:24 pm
eslHQ Member

Athena21 is on a distinguished road
Red face "go to work" vs "go to THE work"

I'm having trouble finding the rule or understanding why sometimes, we DON'T write "the" when using "go". Could someone explain it to me? Thanks!

For example:

I will go to bed/school/work.
I am going to go to bed/school/work.
I am going to bed/school/work.

vs.

I will go to THE park/museum. etc etc
I am going to go to THE park/museum. etc etc
I am going to THE park/museum. etc etc.
Unread Jun 17th, 2010, 06:14 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "go to work" vs "go to THE work"

Compare these examples and think about the question Why is the person /thing in the place referred to?

A : Where's John? B : He's in hospital vs He's at the hospital.
A : A : Where's John? B : He's in prison vs He's at the prison.
A : Where's John? B : He's at church vs He's at the church.
A : Where's John ? B : He's at school vs He's at the school
A : Where's John? B : He's in bed
vs - A mother and young child are playing "Guess where I've hidden Teddy" - Mother : Is he in the bed?

You should have noticed that the meaning changes :

He's in hospital = he's been admitted as a patient, he's being treated for an illness
He's in prison = he's serving a prison sentence
He's at church = he's worshipping
He's in bed = He's asleep or resting
He's at school = he's studying, he's a pupil (or possibly, he's teaching, he's a teacher).

In other words the article is omitted when the real meaning of the sentence is to tell you what the person is doing in that place, which is always the "usual" thing which you would expect a person to be doing there.

Now compare the sentences with the article, and you'll see that they only tell you where the person is, without explaining why - but it isn't for the reason that would be understood without the article.

He's at the hospital = Perhaps he's a doctor, or nurse, or cleaner... Perhaps he's having a check-up, or visiting someone
He's at the prison = Perhaps he's visiting someone, perhaps he's a warder, or a cleaner, or a social worker ...
He's at the church = perhaps he's a priest, or a cleaner, or is taking brass rubbings, or arranging the flowers ...
He's at the school = perhaps he's the caretaker, perhaps he has gone to a parent's meeting ...
He's in the bed = that's where I hid him.

With these sentences, the reason why can only be understood from the context. For example, if I know that John is active in the PTA and you tell me He's at the school, then I may asume that the reason is a PTA meaning. But that's inherent in the context. The sentence itself only tells me where he is.

With some places there is no "usual" activity - eg you can go to the park to walk your dog, take the children to play, have a picnic etc etc. So therefore "the" is always used.

And it's exactly the same with the verb go or any other verb:

I'm going to school ( I'm a pupil/teacher and I'm going in order to teach/study - the "usual" activity)
I'm going to the school (I might be a cleaner, or a parent, or a social worker... You know where I'm going, but only the context tells you why)

Last edited by susan53 : Jun 17th, 2010 at 01:20 pm.
Unread Jun 17th, 2010, 09:18 am
eslHQ Member

Athena21 is on a distinguished road

Susan53 Thank you SO much for your thorough reply. It makes complete sense now. I totally get it. Thanks again!
Unread Jul 20th, 2010, 02:01 am
eslHQ Member

AC_in_Korea is on a distinguished road

Susan53 - that was well explained. I thank you too!