eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 8th, 2016, 04:58 pm
eslHQ Member

alexlearner is on a distinguished road
Default in a frenzy vs frenzied

I usually hear people use the word, frenzy, in the first example I am going to make up next.

(1) Yesterday, fans went into a frenzy when seeing their most favorite movie idol in the annual autograph session .

I would like to make minor changes to the first example.

(2) Yesterday, fans were in a frenzy when seeing their most favorite movie idol in the annual autograph session.

(3) Yesterday, fans were frenzied when seeing their most favorite movie idol in the annual autograph session.

Am I using these phrases with the words, "frenzy" and "frenzied", correctly in the sentences? Thank you for your help.
Unread Jun 16th, 2016, 02:41 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: in a frenzy vs frenzied

First of all, there's an error in your example which has nothing to do with your query - you can't say most favourite. Think about the meaning of favourite - It means most liked - ie the concept of most is contained in the word itself, so pre-modifying it with most makes no sense.

Now to frenzy..

The most usual verb to collocate with frenzy is whip - eg:
The winners were whipped into a frenzy when the award was announced.
See here for more examples.

go is also possible, as you say, eg: Kenyan social media went into a frenzy this week over the hashtag #
More examples here

And so is be
When he was finished, all the boys were in a frenzy,
More examples here

As for frenzied...

Your example is unlikely. as an adjective, frenzied is usually used to premodify a noun :
[i]A man was killed in a frenzied attack...
Video from Peru's Islay province shows police using slingshots to launch stones at frenzied protesters,
(see here for more examples)

or after copulative verbs like seem, sound, look, etc

...this succession of vastly disproportionate attacks has often seemed frenzied and pathological.
The woman looked frenzied, with matted clothes and messy hair.
..she sounded calm and rational while Michael was the one who sounded frenzied.

To see more examples, just Google "loked frenzied", "sounded frenzied" etc (the inverted commas are important)

Be is possible..

I think it is fair to say that travel for New Yorkers was frenzied and dangerous in the 1840s and '50s.

but there are far fewer examples of be plus frenzied as adjective than the other uses I've listed above, and your example (5) sounds very odd to me. If you google "was frenzied" "were frenzied" you'll see that a lot of the examples that come up are not in fact Be + adjective, but passive constructions :

...local football fans who were frenzied by the fact that their team was going to the Super Bowl...

which is interesting because the verb doesn't exist in the active form. You couldn't say eg :

*the fact that their team was going to the Super Bowl frenzied the local football fans