eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 30th, 2019, 10:01 pm
eslHQ Member

Nack is on a distinguished road
Question Chorus or Choir

Hello,
We are choosing an official English name for our local boy's chorus group (consisting of 40-50 schoolboys). Our problem is, which is better between “Setou Boys Chorus” or “Setou Boys Choir.”

I understand that either name is OK. It is a proper name, after all. I think they usually refer any forms of children’s chorus as choir in the UK. On the other hand, choir (especially boy choir) sounds like more or less church-related and European in the US.

Since we are a city chorus group, I prefer “Boys Chorus” to avoid any misunderstanding. But that’s just my thought as a non-English speaker. Could you tell me your idea?
Unread Oct 31st, 2019, 05:55 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chorus or Choir

I'd choose "choir" - but then I'm British. "Chorus" for me is the refrain of a song - a few lines that occur again and again throughout the song (like We all live in a yellow submarine etc) or, if referring to a group of singers it's those in a performance of an opera who back up the soloists, or in a primarily musical piece where they back up the orchestra. In any case, to me it suggests a secondary role.

On the other hand, where the focus is on the group itself, I'd expect "choir" - which doesn't for me necessarily have religious connotations, but makes the group sound more important. But as you say - that could be because I'm British. Both terms are certainly usable. Choose the one you like best.
Unread Nov 2nd, 2019, 09:10 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chorus or Choir

By chance came across another possible term today - "chorale". I rather like that one.