eslHQ (
-   English Questions (
-   -   need your help with an equivalent (

Tanialoves Nov 18th, 2010 11:20 am

need your help with an equivalent
I would be grateful if you could help me with the correct equivalent. I have some problems finding the appropriate term. It is about vacations.

Every year a worker has some annual vacation leave (in my country it's 24 days, for example). But people who have some physical disabilities have one more vacation period during the year(5-10 days). The same additional vacation is given to those who have physically challenged children. Could you please help me with the term to name this additional vacation?

Thank you in advance.

susan53 Nov 18th, 2010 11:37 am

Re: need your help with an equivalent
The closest term I can find is Disability leave. It's not quite the same because the law in the UK is different. See here. But the term could probably be used for the type of leave you're talking about.

Tanialoves Nov 18th, 2010 02:57 pm

Re: need your help with an equivalent
Susan, thank you.
I've just found out that there are other categories of people who receive this "additional" vacation. They are women who are going to give a birth and women who have just delivered a baby; single parents; people who have adopted a child. If there isn't the suitable term in English (due to differences in the laws), will it be, at least to some extent, correct if I call this "social vacation"?
Thanks again.

Tanialoves Nov 18th, 2010 03:16 pm

Re: need your help with an equivalent
I've found another term - a family leave. Maybe I should combine two terms and use Family or Disability Leave. What do you think?

bread_baker Nov 18th, 2010 06:01 pm

Re: need your help with an equivalent
In the USA I have heard of the term "family leave."

susan53 Nov 19th, 2010 02:19 am

Re: need your help with an equivalent
For women who are about to have a baby or have just done so (or adopted), the term is maternity leave. In countries where there is the possibility for either the father or the mother to take the leave after the baby is born, this becomes paternity leave if the father takes it.

However, if you need an umbrella term for all these situations, and if family leave exists in the States, then I'd use Family or Disability Leave as you suggest.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 pm.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2