eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:16 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

excellency is on a distinguished road
Wink which one is better?

hello all,
I just wanted to ask that,is it better to use games and fun activities for reviewing the lesson or use them for teaching sth for the first time? which one is more useful?
thank you all,
Unread Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:07 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: which one is better?

It probably depends on what game and what content you are teaching. Sometimes you can introduce a topic with a fun activity.

Do you have an example of what you'd like to teach or what kinds of activities you might be thinking about?

In general, I'll try to introduce something in an interesting way, but the activities follow for practice after the introduction.
Unread Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:19 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

excellency is on a distinguished road

You know, my question is mostly related to teenagers of 10 to 15 that I don't know which way is better: whether to teach the material first or to play the game first? because adults can understand the rules and ofcours,don't always need to play a game.
for example, imagine that I'm going to teach a grammatical point about simple present, and also I know the game of dice and die, in which students play it by throwing the dice and moving the die on the flashcards and then asking questions and answering them. so, in fact, I'm baffled to do what? thank you for your help.
Unread Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:10 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

I agree with Mark. I think it's better to introduce the material, then have the students play a game with it after.
If I'm teaching a grammar point, this is my preferred way to do it:
1. introduction and examples
2. writing assignment
3. speaking activity (such as a game)
Unread Feb 10th, 2010, 10:01 am
eslHQ Member

AngeloBrito is on a distinguished road

In my opinion if the game allows students to speak you should use first.
In our natural language aquisition we spend a huge amount of time listening, then speaking, then reading and only then writting. For young learners I would always recomend 1st listen 2nd speak 3rd read and 4th write. I've been teaching for 2 years and everytime i've tried to break this rule my lesson is a failure.
Thanks