eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 12th, 2006, 03:18 pm
eslHQ Member

bluemooncarter19 is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!! irregular verbs.. :(

hi.. I was wondering if somebody could help me.. I've been trying to find the pronunciation rules for irregular verbs. .. so far I have found just the verbs.. does anybody know?? is there any website I can go to???
I would be REALLY thankful..
bye
Unread Mar 12th, 2006, 06:01 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP!! irregular verbs.. :(

Hre is what Steven Pinker, (Author of The Language Instinct and Words and Rules (Formerly at MIT, now at Harvard)) has to say about the pronunciation of irregular verbs:

Since irregulars are unpredictable, people can't derive them on the fly as they talk, but have to have memorized them beforehand one by one, just like simple unconjugated words, which are also unpredictable.

You can read the entire article here:
http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articl..._landfall.html

I hope that helps!
eric
Unread Mar 12th, 2006, 08:19 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

http://www.davidappleyard.com/english/strongverbs.htm
that is a conguation chart with some IPA symbols to help.

To hear the words pronounced you can go to http://www.webster.com Type the verb into the online dictionary and along with the definition they have sound bites where you can click and hear the word pronounced.

I hope that helps.
Unread Mar 30th, 2006, 01:50 am
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

Sorry, there are no rules for pronouncing irreuglar verbs (that's why they're called irregular).

www.m-w.com is a great site for learners - an American dictionary with audio clips for each word. You could use this site to hear the pronunciation of any new words.
Unread Jun 6th, 2006, 10:22 pm
eslHQ Member

Bilingualdiva is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: HELP!! irregular verbs.. :(

Sorry to say but I must agree... Irr. Verbs must be memorized.... but that doesn't mean you have to suffer saying them.
Here are some ways you can learn how to say them.
Find a native speaker of the language and ask he /she what they do with their tongue, lips and teeth when they say the word for example
the word went: I puker (like givng a kiss) my lips in the initail sound /w/, then I smile for the vowel sound the tip of my tongue is behind me teeth /e/ for the /n/ sound the tip of my tongue touches behind my top teeth and I release it for the final sound /t/... try it... use a mirror see if you are doing the same things I am.
Another way to practice saying these words or any English words is taking a theater class... yes an acting class... you'll have fun, practice the language, perfect you pronunciation and articulation and who knows you might be the next Hollywood star.
you can also use the Longman Pronunciation Dictionary it's very easy to use and it expalins itself quite well.
What ever you do keep working on it... practice makes perfect and it will never hurt..
good luck!