eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   English Questions (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/)
-   -   several questions (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/several-questions-46424/)

Peter1 May 6th, 2012 11:18 pm

several questions

-I need something to open this bottle with.
-I need something to open this bottle.

-They gave us some money to buy some food.
-They gave us some money to buy some food with.

A grammar says the first sentences are correct, but I doubt it.

which sentence correct?

Do/Does any of you....?

In this sentence, which auxiliary should be used?

This is the last time (in which/at which) I tell you / I have told you.

(in which/at which) can be omitted, but which is correct?

what is the difference between up till now/up to now/until now?

5. Is In a certain day correct?

susan53 May 8th, 2012 02:33 am

Re: several questions

Hi Peter,
You've got five questions here - always put them in separate threads with their own topic heading. This makes them much easier for other people to find if they're interested in the same thing. Also, to answer all your questions in one reply would take ages and result in a very long answer look how long this answer to just your first question is! Split the questions to make it easier for us.

Here's a reply to your first question :

All four sentences are grammatically correct. The use of the preposition in a sentence like this is optional. Each version stems from a different proposition, which either does or doesn't contain the preposition. It may be :

1a) You use a bottle opener to open a bottle. So : I need something to open this bottle.
1b) You open a bottle with a bottle opener - So : I need something to open this bottle with

2a) You use money to buy food. So : They gave us some money to buy food.
2b) You buy food with money. So : They gave us some money to buy food with.

It depends which underlying proposition the speaker has (unconsciously of course) in mind when s/he formulates the sentence. Another nice example of the fact that grammar is choice - the grammar you use is dependent on the meaning that you wish to express.

A caveat however. Proposition 2b is much less likely to be used (and therefore to be present in the mind of the speaker) than 2b. The version ...to buy food with therefore sounds unusual. This is not because it is impossible or ungrammatical, but because it is much less likely to be used. Language use is about frequency as well as about grammaticality.

susan53 May 8th, 2012 06:08 am

Question 2 : Do/Does any of you know...

It should be Do any of you. The concept expressed is plural - there may be 2, 3, 4 or any number of people in the group who know. Alternatively, you could ask : Does anyone know...., thus changing the concept to singular.

susan53 May 8th, 2012 06:14 am

Question 3

First of all, the sentences that you suggest are wrong here. This is the last time implies a future or on-going event. You could say :

This is the last time (that) I'm going to tell you.
This is the last time (that) I'll tell you.
This is the last time (that) I'm telling you.

Here "that" is not a relative pronoun (as your version suggested) but a subordinating conjunction joining the two clauses. And "that" as a subordinating conjunction can always be omitted and usually is in neutral to informal style. It's more likely to be included in formal style. Frequency again...

Other examples : He said (that) it was raining; It's important (that) you should go.

susan53 May 8th, 2012 11:09 am

Question 4 : There's no difference.

Question 5 : No. When referring to a particular day, use "on" : on Tuesday, on March 4th, on my birthday, on the day before we left, on a certain day... etc

Peter1 May 13th, 2012 05:13 pm

thank you~

very detailed