eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   English Questions (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/)
-   -   shall (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/shall-13031/)

mesmark Jul 1st, 2009 06:58 am

shall

I was teaching an English teacher and she came to me with a few questions from the textbook. When there's a problem, it generally that some productive pattern has created a grammatically correct sentence but is semantically ill-formed.

here's one from last lesson that had me in stitches. (I took a little memo.) I'm not sure why it was so funny, but I think because I just didn't know what to do with it.

"I shall have studied English for 6 years by next March."

I couldn't stop laughing and I couldn't tell her why it sounds wrong to me.

susan53 Jul 1st, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: shall

Hi Mark,
Is this another US/UK difference? As long as I shall have has a weak form pronunciation - /ʌʃələv/- it sounds fine to me. In fact I'd probably say it. Of course there are other possibilities - I'll instead of I shall, and have been studying rather than have studied - but I can't see anything actually strange about it. What exactly was it that didn't seem possible?

How's Japan? Even hotter and stickier than here, I guess.

mesmark Jul 9th, 2009 08:21 pm

Interesting. It may be a difference between American and British English (It very well could be that I'm just a little strange :eek: )

I don't think we use 'shall' in affirmative sentences in AE. Any other Americans on this?

Quote:

Quote susan53 (Post 22693)
How's Japan? Even hotter and stickier than here, I guess.

It's actually been pretty cool this summer, but I'm high in the mountains of Nagano (700m above sea level.) It's generally only unbearably hot and stick for about 6 weeks - mid July through Aug. So, the heat's on the way ...

mesmark Jul 9th, 2009 08:23 pm

The high school book also had the example sentence:
'You shall have this book.'

I told my students that it would be OK in a ESP - Royalty class :)

Beatrix Jul 13th, 2009 10:16 am

Quote:

Quote mesmark (Post 22860)
Interesting. It may be a difference between American and British English (It very well could be that I'm just a little strange :eek: )

I couldn't stop laughing after reading this.

Thanks, Mark.

mesmark Jul 17th, 2009 10:12 pm

Quote:

Quote Beatrix (Post 22930)
I couldn't stop laughing after reading this.

Thanks, Mark.

:D

STCrowley Jul 26th, 2009 11:57 am

I tell my students that 'shall' is outdated. Do we (English speakers in general) still use it? I've never read Jane Austin, but I feel like a Jane Austin character when I use it.

STCrowley Jul 28th, 2009 11:22 am

I have been informed by a 'British speaking' colleague that "On the island where we haven't murdered our English, we still properly use the word 'shall.'" So, I stand corrected.

I still say it makes me sound like something from my misconception of a Jane Austin novel!

Beatrix Aug 3rd, 2009 04:10 pm

isn't it jane Austen?

STCrowley Aug 3rd, 2009 04:23 pm

You mean she wasn't named for the city in Texas?

I guess that shows how far out of my depth I am.

My apologies to all.
-Toby

Beatrix Aug 5th, 2009 04:37 pm

no need for an apology. :) it's just that a lot of people make that mistake about her name, I've noticed it.

me too, I've made it recently, that's why I paid attention to your spelling