eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 14th, 2022, 05:53 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

Alex80 is on a distinguished road
Default Grammatical advice

Hi everyone!
I'd like to write a letter to a friend giving him advice on how to get a job.But I came across some grammatical problems that are shown below:
"In the interview, you (should wear/ should be wearing) an informal suit....
The manager should feel you will be cooperative with your partners, and friendly to (people/ the people) you will contact with."
Can you help me please?
Unread Jan 14th, 2022, 09:01 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grammatical advice

Hi Alex,

a) Either verb form is fine here. As always, grammatical form you choose depends on how you perceive the event.
In the interview, you should wear an informal suit... means that you see it as a permanent unchanging fact relevant to all interviews.
In the interview, you should be wearing an informal suit... means that you are "projecting" yourself into the specific situation and see it as an ongoing event during that specific interview.

b) And it's the same with the inclusion or omission of the article:
The manager should feel you will be cooperative with your partners, and friendly to people you will have contact with. ie any people who you happen to come into contact with during your work
The manager should feel you will be cooperative with your partners, and friendly to the people you will have contact with. This suggests you have a specific group of people in mind - maybe the clients of the company etc.

But notice that there was a mistake in the sentence that you missed : ...the people you will have contact with.
Unread Jan 14th, 2022, 09:45 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

Alex80 is on a distinguished road

Could you please explain to me why is" will contact" is incorrect? I intentially used "contact" as a verb in and I thought it might be OK.

Last edited by susan53 : Jan 16th, 2022 at 05:23 am.
Unread Jan 16th, 2022, 05:34 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road

Two reasons - grammar and meaning.

Grammar

1. To contact someone (verb - contact + object) Eg: I didn't feel well so I contacted my doctor.

2. To have contact with someone ( verb have + object contact (=noun) + prepositional phrase). EG. I haven't had any contact with John since our argument in 2005.

Meaning

1. To contact someone usually means to get in touch with them by phone, email, letter etc.

2. To have contact with someone can mean this but also means to meet them physically.

So which construction you choose will depend on the type of contact involved. I suspect that your sentence refers to all types - distanced contact and physical meetings (or possibly just physical meetings), so you'd probably need to say :
The manager should feel you will be ... friendly to people you will have contact with.

Last edited by susan53 : Jan 20th, 2022 at 11:33 am.