eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   English Questions (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/)
-   -   Test your grammar (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/english-questions/test-your-grammar-7197/)

clivehawkins Jan 15th, 2008 09:26 am

Test your grammar

Here's a link to a rather tricky online grammar test.

Quiz - How grammatically correct are you? (Revised with answer.. - grammar - Quizilla Quizzes

It's a bit of fun (although I did it in front of a class and was sweating at some points, I can tell you!)

Have a go and see how you get on. Then check the answer key and see if you agree. There's one or two that I don't agree with and I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

Have fun.

EngliPatrick Jan 15th, 2008 07:21 pm

Re: Test your grammar

WoW! I was rated as a 'master' but it was still embarassing cuz' I missed a lot.

totorosusan Jan 16th, 2008 05:24 am

You did that in front of your class, without checking the answers first? Whew! More guts than I have.

Here's where I probably show my ignorance, but maybe someone can explain this to me.

-----DON'T LOOK AT THIS PART IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN THE QUIZ-----

Q4 I had ____ myself down for a nap.

The answer is listed as lain, but..... I thought reflexive
pronouns were objects and so would take the transitive
"lay." I thought the answer would be "I had laid myself
down for a nap." Without the myself, I would say "I had lain down," but with it....

Anyone?

BTW, I also thought for #6 Chris' was correct, but is that a difference between US and British English??

EngliPatrick Jan 16th, 2008 08:08 am

LOL! And Japanese thought their langauge was difficult...

totorosusan Jan 16th, 2008 09:05 am

I know....I think I'll just have to ____ myself down for a nap now after all that.......Anyway, I thought that's why we had nice verbs like "put." So we can avoid these grammar traps. :)

clivehawkins Jan 16th, 2008 09:10 am

Quote:

Quote totorosusan (Post 13278)
You did that in front of your class, without checking the answers first? Whew! More guts than I have.

Yeah, I sort of got ambushed. I didn't get them all right but ended up with 'god' status (which I then mentioned to them several times during the lesson and will continue to do so until the course finishes :becky:)

The ones I got wrong were the lay \ lain like yourself and then the one on the misplaced modifier (I couldn't see what was wrong with it) and the whom \ who question.

I too would dispute the answer to lay lain. Anyone else had a go?

totorosusan Jan 16th, 2008 09:47 am

Yeah, dangling in the middle of the sentence, I also missed the modifier question. :becky:

sooy Mar 6th, 2008 11:53 pm

Hey I got "Grammar God", cool :lol:
I have to say that any teacher just randomly doing that in front of their class...BRAVE... Some of that was tough!

mesmark Mar 7th, 2008 04:30 am

You are a MASTER of the English language!

Huzzah. While your English is not exactly perfect, you are still more grammatically correct than just about every American. Others admire the way you speak and could learn a lot from listening to you. Still, there is always room for improvement...

:D