eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 7th, 2009, 01:03 am
eslHQ Member

ApplePie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2-3 years old

Ok. I'm getting ready for school so it's a bit late to ask for tips for today, but anyway.

I got a class of 8 2-3 year-olds. The girls are great but I really don't know how to involve the boys (just 3 of them) in the activities. They almost totally ignore me...

Any ideas?

I'm thinking on going along and playing the games they're playing talking to them in English, but I can't really get involved with them because they just go around the class chasing each other...
Unread May 7th, 2009, 03:15 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2-3 years old

It's hard work to get that many kids focused on something.

What I do is strip the room of anything under 3 feet (in height.) That way there is really little left in the room to be of interest, other than what I have. So hopefully if they wander off there won't be much else to do, look at or play with and they'll eventually gravitate back.

Also, just because they aren't there with you doesn't mean they aren't listening.

I just try to stay focused on the lesson and keep going. If they get so out of hand that it's distracting the others, I tell them they don't have to do what we're doing but if they don't want to do it, they have to stay out of the way. Generally, they don't like be excluded, so that has actually worked to keep them with the group. But I have separated out some kids and had some crying episodes.

Where are you teaching? Are the mothers in the room or other teachers?
Unread May 7th, 2009, 05:26 am
eslHQ Member

ApplePie is on a distinguished road

No, I'm alone with them.
I teach to them in a room where it would be impossible to get rid of everything under 3 feet. Yet I sometimes take them to the gym where it might be possible to hide the things they usually take out.
I'll try that next week...

But I was wondering if anyone had experience with activities that 3 yr old boys really like.
Moreover, I try to speak only English in this class, much more than with older kids, yet sometimes as I point to let's say, a lion, and tell them "LION" they tell me in their mothertongue "No, è un leone" (No it's a lion) and are really convinced, and say to me things like "It's called "leone", you should speak properly" (in italian, of course, or I would be really proud of them )
Unread May 7th, 2009, 07:45 am
eslHQ superstar!

Quote:
Quote ApplePie View Post
But I was wondering if anyone had experience with activities that 3 yr old boys really like.
Moreover, I try to speak only English in this class, much more than with older kids, yet sometimes as I point to let's say, a lion, and tell them "LION" they tell me in their mothertongue "No, è un leone" (No it's a lion) and are really convinced, and say to me things like "It's called "leone", you should speak properly" (in italian, of course, or I would be really proud of them )
I've had success with throwing things or hitting things with balls. I've had the kids throw flashcards into a box. They have to ask for the flashcard. I'll have a couple in my hands and they have to ask for them or respond as I say them if they aren't ready to speak. Then I give them the card and they get to throw it.

Another option is to have them try to hit the correct card with a fly swatter or toy hammer (even their hand but not as much fun.) Put down a couple cards and call out what you want them to hit. If they're right change the cards around and go again. If they hit the wrong card, take the hammer away and give it to the next player. With 8 kids you'll probably need 3 or 4 hammers/flyswatters.

For boys, more agressive games or activities with movement are really good.
Unread May 7th, 2009, 08:00 am
eslHQ superstar!

Here's a post about a game using sticky balls
MES-English.com :: View topic - Sticky Ball

Here's a fun game where you get to throw things at the kids (soft things)
MES-English.com :: View topic - Dodge it!

Here's an ESL Teacher Talk episode on teaching children vs. teaching adults
ESL Teacher Talk » Blog Archive » Teaching Children vs. Teaching Adults
Unread May 14th, 2009, 01:02 pm
eslHQ Member

bettyl is on a distinguished road

2 and 3 year olds are too young for extended periods of group activity. They are still in parallel play mode most of the time. Keep any circle/singing/game time very short and optional. Don't try to force a 2 yr. old into doing what everyone else is doing.
Try centers with language/literacy rich materials. Have a few non-negotiable rules and prepare the environment (2 chairs at a table, so 2 people at a time can do this activity). Make the language part of the environ. (e.g. sing while doing/use predictable phrases to describe what is happening) and participation non-coersive. Attract, but never force. Always be doing something that will create more interest than running (you might need to institute a sanctioned running time).