eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Advanced Adult Conv class help (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/advanced-adult-conv-class-help-2959/)

gringoinbrazil Dec 26th, 2006 09:32 am

Advanced Adult Conv class help

I have a couple of private classes with very advanced 18-30 yr olds. They are flying through most of the normal games or activites so was wondering if anyone had any advice. Half of my groups are business oriented and the other are college students.

Rosa29 Dec 31st, 2006 02:32 am

Re: Advanced Adult Conv class help

ahhh i see i wish i could help. :]

livinginkorea Dec 31st, 2006 10:02 pm

Did you play some Boggle and Scrabble? They are very useful. Or even shardes (sp?) where you give one person a word and they have to act it out for the others to guess without saying a word. Again very funny and you can make them into teams if you have a lot of students.

Best of luck!

simplyesl Jan 1st, 2007 09:17 pm

What about games like cranium or taboo?

gringoinbrazil Jan 2nd, 2007 08:08 am

yes I have tried all those and they are good especially Jeopardy they really enjoy that. I guess I am trying to find more grammar related activites to use as I feel the others are more vocab and what I really want is activities where I get them to talk as much as possible instead of one word answers.

susan53 Jan 3rd, 2007 01:32 pm

Hi Gringo,

Picture activities are good at any level - as they get more advanced you simply choose more complex pictures.

Interactive storytelling can also be used, or try this fluency activity, which can be used from intermediate levels up, but works best at advanced level.

Discussions based on music and visualisation often go down well.

Another thing you might try is debates,and then how about an adult version of "show and tell" - in reality a small presentation? Each student gives a short (max 5 mins) presentation on a topic of their own choice, and while they talk each other student must think of at least two questions, additions or objections for the follow up stage. Topics are endless but might include : my work/studies, an object which has great sentimental value for me, what I love/hate about my home town, etc.

Hope that gives you some ideas!
Sue

brettutor Jun 13th, 2013 10:24 pm

I have been teaching online classes for about a year to multiple students at a time. Here is a list of role play and other types of games that I have had success with ESL Role Play Games |. Take a look at the two truths and a lie. There is a twist to it that I added. What I do is allow the students to ask the student one question. If they as the right question it exposes the lie. This increases the amount of conversation that takes place. Some of the other games might seem a little bit over the top, but the intermediate to advanced classes seem to like them, and I find it really makes them think. I especially like "The Deal". Students learn to become persuasive as they try to sell nearly anything to another student. If you play "The Defense Rests its Case", you might have to play the part of the judge to keep things moving along .

Jim Madden AFLA Jul 3rd, 2013 09:36 am

Not a game... not exactly a game anyway... But try doing theater with the Students. Give them the subject.. Maybe something that goes along with the Book you are using, like Pearson Longman - Topnotch for example has lots of subjects that bring in the new language.
For example one of the topnotch 3 units deals with health and talking making a visit to a doctor while on vacation in the USA or England... the Student needs to get their symptoms and needs across to the receptionist.. as well as communicate with the doctor.

So get them to make a play out of it... and get out the Video camera... Bring bag full of odd things to class to use as stage props... like a paper painters mask and sanitary latex rubber gloves for the doctor... a barbers gown for the patient.. stuff like that... Let them Ham it up... have fun.

EllenCP Feb 20th, 2014 04:07 pm

Two of the games I'm starting to use with grammar are Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Grammar Auctions. I googled Who Wants to be a Millionaire and found a powerpoint someone has already made. Use complex grammar for the questions. In a grammar auction, I write up complex sentences - some with mistakes - which the students have to bid on with play money. They have perhaps $500 to bid on sentences worth $0, $50 - $200. They start by identifying what they think are the correct sentences individually. Then in groups they work out which sentences they want to bid on, how much is their $ limit on each sentence and elect a bidder. I run an auction then. Whichever group comes up with the greatest value for the sentences they win is the winning group (without overspending on their budget, of course). Hope those ideas help.