eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Animal Adjectives (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/animal-adjectives-1543/)

jenniferp Aug 7th, 2006 09:31 pm

Animal Adjectives

This is a great exercise to use with intermediate upwards. It's a psychological test I got from my training course. It's better in a group but I have also used it one-to-one.

(If you've not seen this before and want to take the "test" write down your answers before reading the meanings at the end...)

It's a good follow on to having taught more advanced personality adjectives: trustworthy, thoughtful, energetic, endearing etc etc

1. Get your students to write down their favourite animal.
2. Get them to write down 3 adjectives that describe that animal.
3. Then, write their next favourite animal.
4. Then, 3 adjectives to describe it.
5. Next, their 3rd favourite animal and the 3 adjectives to describe that one.

--- for extra work & fun you can add on these questions.

5. Get them to write a sentence about themselves and coffee. (eg, "I can't start the day without it.)
6. Then, a sentence on how they feel about the sea.
7. Lastly, get them to imagine a wall. Describe it and tell what is over the wall.

You can then tell the students that it's a personality quiz and the answers will reveal something about themselves.

1. Your favourite animal is how you want others to see you - your self image.
2. Your second favourite is how others do see you.
3. Your 3rd favourite is how you really are.

4. The sentence you have written about coffee is about you and sex.
5. Your feelings about the sea are how you see life.
6. The sentence about the wall and what is on the other side is death and life after death.

I've done this with only the first few questions in company classes and as I say, it works very well with a group as, depending on the animals they chose, the answers can be very funny.

I'd love to know if anyone has any similar tests as I think they're great fun for classes.:lol:

musica Dec 5th, 2006 04:15 am

Re: Animal Adjectives

I've had this as an email forward, described as a Budhist teaching. lol.
It is fun to do though, I did it myself just for a the sake of interest. What a great idea to do it with your students. Very creative.

simplyesl Dec 5th, 2006 04:36 pm

Sounds like a fun variation.

cabst90 Jan 12th, 2007 03:47 pm

Another personality quiz that I used in a class of mixed intermediate and advanced junior high school students. I also had the students make up their own personality quiz questions after they took this exam.

1. You are on a ship that is sinking. You jump into the water and come to a life raft. As you are getting in, how many other people are already in the raft?

2.The raft takes you to an island on which a city is located. You have the choice to go straight to the city, go to a room and rest for a little while, then get up and go to the city, or rest for as long as you want then go to the city. What do you do?

3. When you get to the city you come upon a beautiful castle. You are climing a long elaborate staircase. As you ascend you see someone out of the corner of your eye on their way back down. You recognize them but only briefly. It's someone you know or have known. Who is it?

4. You are on the way to see the king/queen. Describe 2 physical characteristics of the king/queen.

5. On the way, you come to a dining room with a long table, draped in white linens. There is a silver chalice of wine on the table there for you. Is it full, half full, or three quarters full?

Answers:
1. The number of people on the raft represents the number of true friends that you feel you have in your life.

2. This answer represents your work ethis. If you go straight to the city your work ethic is strong. If you rest as long as you want, your personal life is more important than your working life. The second choice is somewhere in between.

3. The person you see represents someone you have cared for in your life that you have lost in some way.

4. The characteristics of the king/queen represent what your husband/wife/partner will look like.

5. The amount of wine in your chalice indicates how much you invest in a relationship. The fuller the chalice the more time you spend on relationships.