eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   child and adult class... any ideas ??? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/child-adult-class-any-ideas-2838/)

aussiemike Dec 11th, 2006 06:36 am

child and adult class... any ideas ???

Hey,

Im and ESL teacher in china and I have one ESL class that im quickly running out of ideas for. The students range from ages 3 yr – 6 yr, and their parents ( 8 parents and their kids ). The levels range from very beginner to intermediate. Classes have been going ok, I tend to focus more in the kids, But have started to notice the adults getting pretty bored and not wanting to participate. Im trying to find games and activities that will cater for both of them. If there are any suggestions at all - some adults can string very simple sentences, but the kids have difficulty.

Thanks everyone, this website has always been a great help.

simplyesl Dec 12th, 2006 03:32 pm

Re: child and adult class... any ideas ???

Try and find activities where the parents are helping/interacting with their kids. Maybe you could try some craft activities?

susan53 Dec 13th, 2006 01:02 pm

The ability range you have in the class already makes it problematic, but I suspect the class is extra difficult because of the kids' wide range of age. I would suggest watching some videos - things like Teletubbies or Sesame Street which parents often watch with their kids, but you run the risk that what's right for the 3 yr olds will bore the 8 yr olds and vice versa.

But I wonder what the parents were expecting? How was the course sold to them? They must surely realise that the content and activities must be geared to the kids? You don't say where you are or if you speak their language, but it might be useful to have a meeting, with an interpreter if necessary, to discuss their objectives in coming and to make sure that their expectations are realistic and that they recognise that their participation is essential.

I liked the idea of doing crafts and practical activities, and at the meeting you could also find out if they have any special skills that they could teach to the class. Origami springs to mind, but simple cookery (if you've got the facilities) or whatever. You could start by teaching a bit of vocab, and then the parent could then teach the kids and others how to make a paper frog, or biscuits etc. Simple scientific experiments are another possibility.

Have a look at http://www.nationalgeographic.com/kids/activities/
for ideas.

Edit - Sorry. you did say where you were from.

mesmark Dec 13th, 2006 05:17 pm

You might try to get some of the better adults involved in the teaching. Give them some picture books and tell them to practice reading it at home. Then have them come back and lead reading time or something.

I think if you empower them as teachers, they'll get more from the class, but then if you do too good of a job, you'll soon be missing some students :doh: :lol:

Basically, I try to teach those classes to the kids but teach the parents what they need to continue the lesson at home and grow with it. Teaching them to read books to their kids is one of the biggest areas I focus on.

aussiemike Dec 13th, 2006 09:59 pm

THANKYOU !!!

I love the idea on empowering the parents as teachers, that is a fantastic idea. Will def use that one quite a bit. I think the parents will actually get a lot out of that. And chance for me to get back at those who sat their and talk amongst themselves instead of getting involved. HA HA HA :D
And I think a meeting will definitely have to happen, just to clarify their expectations as well as my own.
Crafts have always been a winner in the past, keeps the parents happy – especially the dads trying to out do each other. But you all have given plenty of fresh and useful ideas. Thankyou again.

simplyesl Dec 14th, 2006 07:03 am

let us know how it pans out and what worked and what didn't.

musica Dec 14th, 2006 01:46 pm

Another way to get parents involved with their kids is to get them singing together. There is a very successful international program called Mother Goose which presents songs and rhymes to parents and children together and encourages parents to do the songs with the kids at home. It really is am exceptional idea for esl as it means parents and children are practicing their English together but also bonding in a wonderful way through sharing music and language.
You can google Mother Goose in Canada to find out more about the program.
My CDs have been purchased by some BC groups to use with parents and children to enable them to use the songs at home.

musica Dec 14th, 2006 01:48 pm

I just saw your name aussiemike and wanted to mention that the Mother Goose program is actually presented in Australia.

mesmark Dec 17th, 2006 07:07 pm

The benefit of books is that they are interactive and most studies show that joint book reading does wonders for children's vocabulary, plus there is information that just spending that parent directed time (the parent focusing on the child) helps to motivate children to learn and want to read books. Also, with picture books, you have the images and parents can break off as they normally do pointing to various pictures and discussing the story with the child.
"Look! There's a bird. It's flying. You saw a bird yesterday at the park, remember?"
"Do you see a blue bird?" "Right, there it is. Good job!"
etc.

That being said, DevonT is a member of this site and he has two CDs that are excellent for young learners. They are designed for kindergarten aged students. He is an EFL teacher and designed the songs for his classes, specifically to teach English. The songs are slow, simple and clear. I have both CDs and they are excellent. There is a very appropriate use of fast and slow rhythms that all students can enjoy. You should check his stuff out Super Simple Songs

Andrea Escalante Dec 20th, 2006 01:37 pm

How about creating a scavenger hunt hat the parents and kids can do together? This can be adapted for all levels of development. It can be a written list or a list of pictures. Depending on the available materials you can find objects in the room or count the number of times you can find a particular word or picture within a story etc. It can also be done in groups. I like to use it for cooperative learning activity during the first week of school. The students cut out the items from magizines and newpapers. Then we make a collage and/or catagorize and sort the items.

aussiemike Jan 3rd, 2007 01:09 am

Just want to thank everybody for their help and contributions. Classes have been going great ! getting the parents involved in the actual teaching has been wonderful. Teaching them the focus questions and than getting them to ask the kids, they are both equally learning more that way. But also find that making fools out the parents really lightens them up, not necessarily always English related but always good for a laugh. Egg and spoon race, rice sack races, running around with balloons between their legs, things that are very simple but get the parents really involved. And funny songs that maybe the kids cant sing but the parents def can, and getting them to do a little performance – one finger one thumb ( thanks musica ). So a lot easier for me now, and everybody is enjoying themselves and learning a lot of english. Thanks everybody. :)

livinginkorea Jan 3rd, 2007 07:28 am

Great to hear back such a positive report and I'm sure that once the parents get into helping their kids then they can really enjoy spending the time with their kids and learning English! :)

spellbound Feb 7th, 2007 05:09 am

On parents day I made a set of bingo cards related to the topic 'Body Parts'. Both the children and the adults enjoyed playing along.

http://www.dltk-cards.com/bingo/bingo1.asp

I made the cards via the dltk website.

Manes Jun 28th, 2008 04:19 pm

I was really happy and excited with all the ideas about how to envolve parents and children. Empowering the parents is THE way! It allows continuity at home. As I read all it came to my mind that another alternative would be creating with the parents a short play for them to present to the kids. (Or maybe a very known kid's story) I think it would be fun for both sides. I don't know how doable...