eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   colours - more ideas needed (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/colours-more-ideas-needed-6725/)

Pernickety Nov 26th, 2007 12:40 pm

colours - more ideas needed

hi all,
i have prepared a lesson to teach colours to total beginners
- introducing the colours by colour flashcards
- practising pronunciation by identifying objects in my magic bag!
- written work: colouring the stars to match the colour
- reading: a book about colours

Problem is the teacher would like me to stick to one topic for 2 or 3 lessons and I'm struggling to think what I could do next week. Colour Bingo and ?????

(additional problem with this topic is that I don't think I'll have access to colour photocopier so handouts can only be b&w!!!)

clivehawkins Nov 26th, 2007 02:15 pm

Re: colours - more ideas needed

I play a game with the kids where I say a colour and they have to run and get me something of that colour (if in the classroom) or run and touch something of that colour (if in the recreation area)

Otherwise you could do a colouring exercise I've just posted on this site in the worksheet section. I've called it house-colour. (By the way, I didn't prepare this material and I can't remember where I got it from so I apologise in advance for posting it under my name)

How about The Rainbow Song here:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-s...bow-lyrics.pdf
and then colour a rainbow to put up in class.

Hope that helps

Pernickety Nov 26th, 2007 05:11 pm

thanks clive,
I like the house colouring idea and will pinch it I think :D
I realised after I'd written that I hadn't included a song and the rainbow one is perfect (and the idea of making a rainbow for the class). I did find a great animated (kinda) version of that song on youtube
(YouTube - Colors (Children's video) Hope that link works) which now leads me to my next question.... Is there a way to download something from youtube for use in class (without broadband wifi etc in school)?
Thanks again

clivehawkins Nov 27th, 2007 12:57 am

No, you can't download from youtube, at least not the last time I looked. It actually says in the faq section that they don't allow it. Pity though, there's some good stuff on it. Have you tried emule or other file sharing?

rero Nov 29th, 2007 04:39 pm

you can play the musical chairs. Pupils like this game very much. Get five children go around four chairs holdin coloured cards. Play music and when you stop they should sitdown.The pupil who has no chair loses, other pupils say " Goodbye green"

jellybeanenglisch Dec 4th, 2007 04:57 am

- "I spy...": Sit or stand in a circle with your students and teach them "I spy with my little eye something [color]". Students have to run and touch something of that color.
- Flashcard Slam (to help memorise vocabulary): divide class into 2 teams, let them decide on a team name (they love that). Write team names on the board to help you keep score. One person from each team stands at the back of the room. Color flashcards are on the other end of the room (wall or desk). You call out a color and both students run (or walk/skip etc. whatever you tell them) to get the correct card, run back to their starting position and say the word correctly in order to score a point for their team.
- "If you're wearing [color]": all sit in a circle. Teacher calls out "if you're wearing red, jump" for example. For this activity, the kids have to know some action words, though.
Good luck!

EngliPatrick Dec 4th, 2007 09:34 pm

1. Color the animals

2. Hide Billy

3. Toss!

4. Shingo or Jail

5. Adaptable games that can be converted into any topic

EngliPatrick Dec 4th, 2007 09:36 pm

Quote:

Quote Pernickety (Post 12514)
(additional problem with this topic is that I don't think I'll have access to colour photocopier so handouts can only be b&w!!!)

Pernickety,

I know this might sound quite obvious, but seeing that you are TEACHING colors, wouldn't it be more advantageous to have your handouts in B&W and have the students color-by-instruction?

Pernickety Dec 5th, 2007 09:05 am

Thanks for the replies, lots to go on there!

Jovette Mar 16th, 2012 07:14 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! I have my students play "Go Fish" and "Team Memory Game" with cards they make. It's great to have them practice their colors and interact!

arielhud Mar 16th, 2012 10:27 am

You CAN download from Youtube.... it can just be a pain. Using Firefox, get the add-on "DownloadHelper 4.9.8" and set its preferences to download all files as mp4 automatically. Then, go to ANY website that has flash, or video streaming. Once the page is loaded, you will see a little venn diagram button (red, blue and green). Click it, and presto, you've got the video you want downloaded! (just make sure you download the highest quality!)

Then, you can play via your PC, or a USB terminal that connects to a TV (I can't remember the brand I use right now, forgive me, I'm at home and can't check...) but they're quite cheap (~$70US) and a huge help in the classroom, especially since DVD players are often region coded!

totty137 Apr 20th, 2012 10:21 pm

There is a much easier way to download from youtube. Go to the website KeepVid: Download and save any video from Youtube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, iFilm and more! and copy the URL of the video you want to download. Plug the video URL into the bar on the keepvid page and it will create different types of video files. If you don't want the video only the audio the website just added the ability to download as an mp3. Hope this helps and thanks for all the ideas.