eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   "do" in questions (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/do-questions-4205/)

quoi_de_neuf? Apr 16th, 2007 07:42 am

"do" in questions

Hi,

I'm a newbie and am having problems teaching "do" in questions ("What do you do?" -I'm a teacher / student..., "Do you like your job?" -Yes, I love my job because...)

Students are having problems because they want to translate the sentences into their language (French), but this doesn't work as 'do' is an auxiliary verb which doesn't exist in French - it only exists as "faire". Therefore, they aren't getting to grips with the meaning and use of "do" in questions.

Anyone have any suggestions on lesson ideas / activities / exercises etc that I can use to cover this point? The context is jobs and employment.

All opinions welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Quoi de 9 :)

susan53 Apr 16th, 2007 10:16 am

Re: "do" in questions

Sorry - I removed this post because I completely misinterpreted your question.

quoi_de_neuf? Apr 16th, 2007 10:40 am

Hi,

Sorry, but I don't understand why the post has been removed... Did I break a rule?

Quoi

michèle 2 Apr 17th, 2007 01:52 am

As this structure : Do + subject+ v for interrogative form doesn't exist in French , I think that exercises like : fill in the blanks with do or does , make questions using do, does....can be a start to train your students. Or play a game where you have to guess the person's job by asking questions
For example: Does he use a hosepipe? Yes, he does. Does he wear a uniform ? Yes, he does ect....Who is he? he's a fireman.
they'll get used to it.

quoi_de_neuf? Apr 17th, 2007 04:29 am

Good suggestion michèle 2, thanks! I did a gap-fill exercise today (do/does) and it worked well :) Alors, MERCI BEAUCOUP!

Quoi d'un oeuf ;)

smy2brazil May 1st, 2007 12:00 pm

You can always use the "go fish" card game.

Do you have a red five? Yes, I do. / No, I don't. Go fish.

or a longer version

Do you have a black king? Yes, I do have a black king. / No, I don't have a black king. Go fish.

on another note.

Of course, once they get do, they will have to get does....

susan53 May 2nd, 2007 12:05 am

Quote:

Quote quoi_de_neuf?
Hi,

Sorry, but I don't understand why the post has been removed... Did I break a rule?

Quoi

Sorry Quoi - I meant I removed my post. I wrote a long reply, then saw it wasn't relevant to what you'd actually asked, so I took it off again. Apologies to all.
Sue

Manes Jun 28th, 2008 03:36 pm

Try cards with verbs in the infinitive: eat, like, run, know, have, etc on a pile facing down. Another pile with all sort of nouns they know (food, professions, objects, places, etc) on another pile also facing down. Student A pick one card from each pile and must choose a student to answer his question with "So-so, do you" + the words in the 2 cards + articles or preposition needed to make a good sentence. It's fun because some combinations are totally senseless: Do you eat a table? Extending: pick a verb and 2 cards from the other pile. "So-so, do you see fish in your head? It can be done with small groups against small groups.

rejjie Jul 27th, 2008 01:27 pm

as far as i am concerned i tell them that do is a bit like est ce que in French it doesn't mean something but it is necessary to ask a question .