eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 30th, 2009, 12:27 am
eslHQ Member

meganinjapan84 is on a distinguished road
Question Fun Adult Games!

Hello! I teach English at a YMCA in Japan. I teach children aged 6mo.-12yrs. I also teach a significant amount of adults. I have the childrens` lessons pretty well under control but it is coming up with games and activities for my adult classes that I am having trouble with. Please let me know if you have any ideas!
Unread Apr 30th, 2009, 03:13 am
eslHQ Member

davidsensei is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fun Adult Games!

My forte is games for kindergarten classes, but 4 times a year my company has a company-wide training session and we play games there as icebreakers and team-building activities. Some of the ones that could probably be used in the classroom are those that require some mingling and interviews. You can assign everyone an animal and have everyone mingle and ask questions (what color are you? are you bigger than a ___? do you have a long nose? etc.). The only thing they can't ask is the direct question of "What animal are you?" Have a list of all the animals and the students can write down the name of the person next to the animal they were assigned. This is a good activity for working on descriptions.

Maybe if you could go more into detail about the level of the students and the number(s) of students in the class(es), you could get more applicable suggestions.
Unread Apr 30th, 2009, 06:47 am
eslHQ Member

meganinjapan84 is on a distinguished road

My class sizes range from 2-5 female students. Most of my classes are pretty well advanced but I am looking for ideas for my beginner class. There are two females. They can speak pretty good English but it's mostly broken sentences. I've been working on grammar but they are getting bored with just the lessons, so I'm looking for games and/or activities that keep them interested and allow them to practice.
Unread Apr 30th, 2009, 07:02 am
eslHQ Member

davidsensei is on a distinguished road

For grammar, have you tried MadLibs? You can easily create your own. Just write a simple paragraph, and then take the various parts of speech found in there and replace them with blanks. Make a list of all the parts of speech needed, and have the students come up with appropriate words that fit those categories. Plug them into the original paragraph for a silly result. You may need to tweak it to fit their level (e.g. give them a list of possible words to plug in), but if their comprehension is good, that could be a fun activity.
Unread Apr 30th, 2009, 04:31 pm
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road

You could play trivial persuit, or taboo...TABOO is my fav.
Unread May 25th, 2009, 07:30 pm
eslHQ Member

Chancho Matero is on a distinguished road

we play pictionary...
or to guess the fruits by the taste,
Unread Jun 1st, 2009, 11:47 am
eslHQ Member

ckb_brown is on a distinguished road

I teach level I ESL to spanish speakers. For part of each class, I use music and give them English/Spanish translations. We read the translations, listen to the song in English, then sing alog. They love it. So far, they've learned Beatles "Goodbye, Hello", "Yesterday", and Santana "Corazon Espinado."
Unread Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:12 pm
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road

There is also a great book full of games for adults and it is broken into grammar points.

"Intermediate Grammar Games" Pearson Education Limited

Hope that helps.
Unread Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:10 pm
eslHQ Member

ordeal is on a distinguished road

Hi!
I‘ve tried this and it worked really well. They in turns pick up four or five irregular verbs that are upside down on my desk and write them down on the board in the past and past participle forms. Then, as a warm up activity, they get into pairs and think of sentences using the verbs in any tense. Each pair says the sentences aloud. After that the whole group makes up a story adding one or two sentences to the previous one. What makes them laugh is the unexpected development and end of the story.
Unread Jun 5th, 2009, 12:12 pm
eslHQ Member

ckb_brown is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Fun Adult Games!

get idea - thanks!