eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Game or song to teach "ing" (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/game-song-teach-ing-7780/)

paul3879 Mar 16th, 2008 08:00 am

Game or song to teach "ing"

Hey guys and girls;
I have been 'racking' my brains out trying to think of a song and game to teach 'ing'. Can anyone help??
Thanks in advance. Paul (China).

EngliPatrick Mar 16th, 2008 08:50 am

Re: Game or song to teach "ing"

The two most widely 'ing' grammar is in the following two sentences:

1. PlayING basketball is fun. (gerund)
2. I am playING basketball. (present continuous)

Which one you talking about about?

mesmark Mar 16th, 2008 10:25 pm

How much of the song needs to be in the present progressive?

I would imagine you'd have the best success with love songs or broken heart songs:
I aint missing you at all

(He's) Strumming my pain with his fingers
(He's) Singing my life with his words
(He's) Killing me softly with his song
(He's) Telling my whole life with his words

mesmark Mar 16th, 2008 10:26 pm

What are some other songs you've used? What was the grammar point and how do you use the songs?

paul3879 Mar 17th, 2008 07:00 am

As a 'new-ish' teacher, and as I have only really been teaching kindergarten I have not done anything with the word "ing" really. And I was talking about the "I am dancING" etc...

EngliPatrick Mar 17th, 2008 06:30 pm

If you are teaching kindergarten present continuous forms, I'm guessing you aren't teaching ESL but rather English as a L1 language? (first language)

Anyways, I would think the easiest and funnest way to teach that grammar point would to split the class into half. Have one side stand up and the other side go to sleep. Give the standing side a verb and tell them to act it out.

When you say freeze, the sleeping students wake up and the standing students must freeze in whatever position they were currently doing the action. The object of the sleeping students is to guess what the action is by making 'ing' sentences: "He is dancing," "She is running," etc.

Hope that helps!

mesmark Mar 18th, 2008 12:19 am

I teach the present progressive to my preschool and kindergarten students via flashcards and then actually getting up and doing the actions together. I start running and get them running.

Then I say 'I'm running.' and they say it back (without being told to repeat.) Then I say, 'No, I'm running.' and they start arguing with me. 'No, I'm running.' 'No, I'm running.' 'No, I'm running.' ...

Then I ask them 'What are you doing?' and they'll most likely answer 'I'm running.'

Choose a new action, rinse and repeat :D

Sorry that the other song ideas weren't age appropriate. Maybe try GenkiEnglish for something like that. Genki English, ESL games, songs and ideas to turn ESL lessons into super lessons.

paul3879 Mar 18th, 2008 12:48 am

Sorry all I think you misunderstand my last post, I meant that I have only been teaching kindergarten full stop and I have not taught Grade 3,4,5,6 at all. At the weekend I will be teaching these grades for the first time and using the present progressive, I'm running, I'm dancing etc... (teaching these as an ESL in China, not as a L1). I like the idea from 'mesmark' maybe I will try that one. Does anyone else have any other games?.
On another note:-
As this is my second post now I feel a little guility as I have not given anything back (sorry but I have been in hospital for the last three weeks with my Gall Bladder)!!!
I will post various games tonight which I have used in the past.

danghoanganh_th May 30th, 2008 03:04 am

hi,
i think you may consider some songs such as " things i'll never say- avril lagvil"( simple present + present countinous).

jellybeanenglisch Jan 7th, 2009 10:45 am

Check this out
http://genkienglish.net/harrypotter.htm
Great game but very very noisy! Good luck

paulasalvador68 Apr 21st, 2009 05:48 am

Hi.
I teach present continuous to 4th grades and What I use to do is a miming game. I present some cards with some actions. A student comes forward and mime the action and the rest of the class tries to guess what's he doing. This is used to be fun and they all like to try it. I hope this can help you a bit. :)

Quote:

Quote paul3879 (Post 14291)
Sorry all I think you misunderstand my last post, I meant that I have only been teaching kindergarten full stop and I have not taught Grade 3,4,5,6 at all. At the weekend I will be teaching these grades for the first time and using the present progressive, I'm running, I'm dancing etc... (teaching these as an ESL in China, not as a L1). I like the idea from 'mesmark' maybe I will try that one. Does anyone else have any other games?.
On another note:-
As this is my second post now I feel a little guility as I have not given anything back (sorry but I have been in hospital for the last three weeks with my Gall Bladder)!!!
I will post various games tonight which I have used in the past.

phtrang Mar 10th, 2010 10:23 am

how about "Falling for you" by Colbie Caillat, lots of V-ing. I used this song to teach my adults students, it.'s amazing. maybe you could try it