eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Game: using yet/already/never... (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/game-using-yet-already-never-3326/)

Dani Dias Feb 8th, 2007 01:55 am

Game: using yet/already/never...

I tried it out with high inter students after they had seen present perfect and present perfect continuous and it worked out well.

2 team competition (w/ ball) – review of pres. perfect and pres. perfect cont. with already / yet / ever / never / since / for

• Divide the class into 2 teams. Put them in 2 rows facing each other (standing or seated).
• One team starts. Volunteer from the starting team gets the ball.
• Teacher will ask a question and student will have to answer. But he/she can’t answer with yes/no and they must use in their sentence one of these words: already / yet / never / since / for.
• After the student answers, he/she’ll throw the ball randomly to somebody else from the other team. Teacher will ask a question and so on.
• If a student gets it wrong, he/she is out.
The team with more students left, wins the game.

This is an activity to be modeled. Explain as you actually show it and be sure to try it out a couple of times first before doing a full round.

Tell students they can’t hesitate or they’re out.

If you notice that somebody is always getting the ball, stop the game and say that they can’t throw the ball to the student that got it previously.

You can make it more complex, if you leave the students that answered wrong in their position. Then students from the other team must also memorize who got out and not throw the ball to them. If they do so, they're also out of the game.

It's a way to have fun with a tense that's quite challenging for students. :)

Some questions I used:
1. Have you been studying?
2. Have you ever been to Paris?
4. Have you ever got lost in a strange place?
5. Have you been working a lot?
6. Have you ever written love letters?
7. Have you ever seen a ghost?
8. Have you done your homework?

wegaro Sep 24th, 2009 06:14 am

Re: Game: using yet/already/never...

I really like this one! Thanks a lot! I'll tell you what happened in my lesson later, but I'm quite sure this is going to work very well! :)

mesmark Sep 24th, 2009 08:11 am

I usually use Get 4 for form practice. It doesn't really provide in context usage but it works well for practicing formation.

ranhatty May 28th, 2012 07:50 am

A good game I used was to get the class in two teams and give them an activity e.g- going on holiday. each team must write a list of all the things they need to remember to bring when they are going on holiday. Then the teams challenge each other- have you brought a camera, other team replies, yes we've already brought a camera, no we haven't brought a camera yet. The questioning team gets a point if the answering team 'haven't yet'.