eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Games For Adults (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/games-adults-9896/)

hpm@clearwave.ca Sep 22nd, 2008 06:27 pm

Games For Adults

I am looking for games specifically for adults. We occupy a very small class room and there are about 25 students. Any suggestions?

mesmark Sep 23rd, 2008 12:56 am

Re: Games For Adults

Any game that's educational can be used for adults. What I mean is if they can see the educational value in it, and see that they are gaining from it, they'll be happy with the game.

I use all of my children's games with adults. I just get rid of prizes and don't really focus on points or scoring. We just enjoy the activity and enjoy practicing in a fun environment. You might need to make the speaking task more difficult or have it advance as the game continues.

taiwanenglish Jun 26th, 2009 12:08 am

Hi!

My kindy classes love a good game of red light green light. Have them line up at the back, say green light, and let them walk quickly at you. Red light stops them. Hurry up / Hold on (Wait a minute) also does the same while teaching them useful phrases.

SELF ADVERTISING REMOVED BY ADMIN. PLEASE KEEP SELF ADVERTISING IN YOUR SIGNATURE.

MeNut Jul 30th, 2009 06:56 pm

Two excellent games for adults are Word UP and Roll Play. Word Up - www.tefigames.com $33 for the classroom pack which contains 2 games boards. 12 people (6 partners) can play at a time. 5 levels of questons and 5 types of questions. My adult students LOVE playing Word Up.

Roll Play $34.95 Welcome to Dymon Publications Cards and dice - 800 different topics. I also use the cards for writing and as fill ins at the end or beginning of class.

Both games were developed for ESL Classes.

I have found a lot of good games on this website. Make enough copies so that 4 groups of 6 can play. Use anything like buttons, different colored pencil erasers, beads for the markers, or small party favors, etc. I found small dice (beads) at Hobby Lobby which work well.

And of course write your own game using this website!

alawton Aug 1st, 2009 02:04 pm

I guess moving around the room is not possible for your class. In similar situations I've used the game "telephone" to have students practice pronunciation. The first person in the row is presented with a sentence that includes target vocabulary or grammar. You (the teacher)come up with the sentences. That first student reads the sentence and whispers it to the next perosn. The sentences is passed down the row like this and the last person stands up and tells the class what he heard. Depending on your students, it can be way off or correct. I've always had fun with this one. Try it!

sagitario Oct 10th, 2009 09:01 pm

I would like to know more about world up and role play games. thanks Sagitario.

biskitchan Nov 3rd, 2009 08:12 am

Hi, a really good adult esl game is Scratch My Back.
It's really fun and I've used it in all of my Intermediate and advanced classes this year (actually I've even ended up playing it outside class with my English friends a few times, which is not something i'd consider doing with most classroom games!).

i like it because it gives players a strong incentive to talk and be creative. the language used in the game is really practical outside the classroom, so it's easy to fit into your lessons.
Anyway, here's a link to the site : Scratchmybackgame.com. hope it helps you;)

MeNut Nov 13th, 2009 01:27 pm

Both are table games, but the cards from both games can be used individually as time fillers or lessons. Both are fun games which invoke lots of conversation and laughter. The cards in Roll Play can be divided and used for 2,3,or more groups to play. The links are:Word UP www.teligames.com
Roll Play Welcome to Dymon Publications

Quote:

Quote sagitario (Post 24247)
I would like to know more about world up and role play games. thanks Sagitario.

lia32043 Dec 9th, 2009 02:13 pm

I play "Word Bing" and "Picture" bingo with my adults they seem to enjoy playing these games. I also have cut up sentences into blocked words for them to put together as a group. I usually have no more than 4 people to put the blocked word into a sentence. They seem to enjoy this as well. You could also be timed.

bread_baker Jan 16th, 2010 06:57 pm

It's important to consider the level(s) in your class.
Board games work very well. When I use them, I break the students into groups of 4. If the groups are larger, students spend a lot of time waiting for turns and usually they start speaking in their native languages.
There are many board games on this website. You can buy dice; dice are cheap.

Denis DNT Feb 14th, 2010 08:59 am

I play Word Drop and Alphabet Jungle with my adult students.
Very interesting. Your students have laptops PCs I guess. Get them in teams and play these games. They are all about being good at English words. You can visit the games page of my website MyEE Online and see how busy these adults are with the games.

stevensgilton Mar 10th, 2010 12:07 am

There are so may games for adults and since you are specific do you any requirements in the games.If you have any just try to specify them so that I can help you my best.