eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 12th, 2014, 09:38 pm
eslHQ Member

Millyd is on a distinguished road
Default Games for beginners?

I have a 30minute lesson with three different classes of kindergarten children. They vary from speaking no english to speaking simple daily words. I have never taught these classes before so don't know what words they actually know. Does anyone have any suggestions of games I could play with any of these level?
Unread Aug 22nd, 2014, 09:55 am
eslHQ Member

epsilon1983 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Games for beginners?

Children that age love children songs (Wheels on the Bus, London Bridge, or how about that Frozen song "Let it go" *cringe*). They love games like Simon Says - you can use simple commands and mimic them to help them out (close your eyes, read a book, touch something red, jump, sit).

I've listed a lot of ideas here: English Commander

On this website you can also create custom games with words they are learning to make it fun.
Unread Nov 17th, 2014, 03:20 pm
eslHQ Member

Heikezelle is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Games for beginners?

Hello,

You can play a lot of games and must not be afraid at all: children are creative, inventive and easy to motivate. Children love playing, it is the natural way they learn and I think it is the best way to teach them a foreign language by playing. I am teaching children of kindergarten-age and I use this link: ESL Games, Stories, Songs and Plays for Kids, Teens and Adults! (also published as an Amazon-Book) which is full of resources, games and inspiration.
For practising words you can e.g. play: Which one has gone? (Training Vocabulary), Vocabulary Cut Outs (Teaching and Training Vocabulary) Where is it? (Listening), for speaking there are introduced 3 variations of the classical children game: What´s the time, Mr. Wolf?, Class Choral Work (Speaking) - there are so many games that you will never run out of ideas what do in your lesson.
Heikezelle
Unread Mar 3rd, 2015, 06:01 am
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road

Dear Milly,

Hi there, Heike, who is a great teacher who is a major fan of my resources (she bought every single one of them!) told me she had posted a reply to you and I wanted you to know that you can actually get a free story, lesson plan and song to use with your kindergarten classes.

This teaching kit is a free sample from my series so you are welcome to it, completely free, with no need to order (no need to give a credit card or anything). It will spell out for you step by step exactly what to do - you just follow the lesson and the kids will love you, and learn!

So do try it out - you do have to enter your name and email to receive the story, but like I said, it's free and there's no spam (we hate it):
ESL Short Stories For Ages 3 to 6 | Teaching English Games

All the best
Shelley Vernon
PS Email me directly if you have any questions any time.

Last edited by Pix : Jul 3rd, 2022 at 09:02 am. Reason: update link
Unread Mar 15th, 2015, 04:34 am
eslHQ Member

danpacu is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody.
I have the same problem as Milly.
Recently I had to start teaching englsih to pre-primary kids and have no experience at all with them. Luckily, I am not afraid of doing "the actor" in front of them. The problem is thas I got out of ideas as of games. Can anyone help me and explain me how to make an interesting game for them? I really need that kind of help.
Thank you in advance.
Unread Apr 20th, 2015, 11:03 pm
eslHQ Member

ska45 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Games for beginners?

Quote:
Quote danpacu View Post
Hello everybody.
I have the same problem as Milly.
Recently I had to start teaching englsih to pre-primary kids and have no experience at all with them. Luckily, I am not afraid of doing "the actor" in front of them. The problem is thas I got out of ideas as of games. Can anyone help me and explain me how to make an interesting game for them? I really need that kind of help.
Thank you in advance.
My idea is not so much a game as an activity, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. My 2nd grade kids will have a very low level of English - we will have to start at the beginning.

So one activity I am going to have them do, is to draw a picture of something they really like. It can be a favorite place, animal, food, sport, memory - whatever. I will give them about 10 minutes to do this. Once they are done, each child will share their drawing with the class and we will learn the word for what they drew. Their homework for that week will be to practice writing that letter. So if Kei drew a picture of a turtle, his letter to practice would be "T".

It might be more challenging to figure out what smaller kids draw, but also probably cute too!
Unread Oct 26th, 2015, 01:38 am
eslHQ Member

kidsesl is on a distinguished road

Here is a super Easy Scary flashcard game that my kindergarten students used to love.

Materials: Flashcards + 1 scary flashcard, such as a ghost, monster or vampire.

How to play: Show the children the flashcards one by one and have them repeat after you. Explain that when it gets to the scary card they need to run away and touch the wall behind them (or a desk, bookshelf, or locker) and they will be safe from the scary image on your card.

For example

Teacher: Blue!

Students: Blue

Teacher: Red!

Students: Red!

Teacher: Yellow!

Students: Yellow!

Teacher: It’s a monster!!!

Students: ahhhhhhhh! (students run away and touch the wall)

When playing with small children they may cry when they see the scary card, so it’s a good idea to demonstrate the came first with three or four students in front of the class.

Safety

As with all games, it’s important to demonstrate that they have to be careful when running, and take care not to push each other.

Variations

If you don’t have much space, or if they are sitting at desks, you can make them hide from the scary card instead of running away.

This colour touch game is also super easy
Kids ESL: All about teaching English to kids!: Game: Colour touch

So is this keyword game
Kids ESL: All about teaching English to kids!: Keyword Game

I think this fruit basket game is really great as well
Kids ESL: All about teaching English to kids!: Game: Fruit Basket