eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 14th, 2010, 12:15 pm
eslHQ Member

SamiiPineapple is on a distinguished road
Default like/dislike

Does anyone know of any good games I can use to teach like/dislike?

Thanks x
Unread May 27th, 2010, 01:21 am
eslHQ Member

k_belle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: like/dislike

I played bingo using the generator on this website. I made flashcards, and "X" and "O" cards. X= "No, I don't like _____" and O = "Yes, I like ______"

Divide the class into two teams (that way the higher students can help the lower ones identify the correct bingo words/pictures). Show Team 1 (but not Team 2) a flash card and have them ask the question EX: "Do you like rice?". (For higher levels, don't show Team 2 the picture card so that they must listen to Team 1).

Next, randomly select an "X" or "O" card to show to team 2. They must reply with the correct response "Yes, I like..." for "O" or "No, I don't like..." for "X".

If the answer is "Yes", all students can colour in the bingo word/picture (yay!). If the answer is "No", none of the students get to colour in the bingo word/picture (boo!).

I made the flashcard pictures different from the bingo pictures, so they have to think a little, and so they don't just memorize what only one image looks like (ex: flashcard = picture of egg whites and yolks and bingo card = picture of eggs in a carton).

Because it's team bingo, you can play until a team gets to 1, 5, 10 bingos.. how ever long you want to play. ^^
Unread Jun 9th, 2010, 12:49 am
eslHQ Member

k_belle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: like/dislike

Because I was teaching this to kindergarten, grade 1 and 2, I decided to do a follow-up (part 2).

I found a great song by Super Simple Songs. I don't have the cd, but it's easy to sing without the music. Here is the youtube link: YouTube - Do you like ...? Yes I do / No I donĀ“t .(Perfect for ESL students)

Because I don't have the flashcards from Super Simple Songs.. I made a short powerpoint so the kids got the idea of mixing food.

"Do you like eggs" (students repeat)
"Yes I do" (students repeat)
"Do you like ham?" (repeat)
"Yes I do" (repeat)
"Do you like green eggs and ham?"
"No I don't" (repeat)
(Followed by cabbage ice cream and fish (anchovy) pizza.)

After the students got the idea, I just used my food flashcards because it's hard to find "mixed foods" on the internet/clipart. Continue the song and if you want you can have the students choose the combos.

GAME:

Need
- big flashcards (food clipart from this website)
- small flashcards (same as above)

Every big flashcard has a matching smaller one. Divide the students into two groups. Each student in Group A gets a big flashcard. Big flashcards ask the question "Do you like...(flashcard food)?" Each student in Group B gets a small flashcard. The students must find their partner (same food card).

Student 1 (big pineapple card): "Do you like pineapple?"
Student 2 (small rice card): "No, I don't"
Student 1 (big pineapple card): "Do you like pineapple?"
Student 3 (small pineapple card): "Yes, I do!"

When they find their partner, have them put their hands together and make a bridge. All other students add to the bridge as they find their partner.

If you have an odd number of students, make a duplicate small food card. One student will be left at the end of the game, and they can run/crawl through the bridge.

If you have an even number of students, make all cards in pairs except one, so at the end you have a student asking "Do you like apples?" and the last student who has a small chicken card says "No, I don't". Both students then get to walk/crawl through the bridge.

To make it more structured, you can have them make 2 lines (big cards vs. small cards) and ask one-by-one. If they find their partner, they put their hands up, and the other students pass under the bridge to the next student. You can have them each ask their question and answer before the student(s) can run through the bridge (to make sure no one is cheating by not talking!).

Sorry the explanation is so long, but my students LOVED this game! It's simple, and they kept asking "One more time!" "One more time!" Because it's a talking game, I let them play till class ended ^^