eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 24th, 2011, 02:11 pm
eslHQ Member

CanPair is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Fun 1-on-1 Games and Excercises for a 7 year old?

I am currently in the interesting experience of being an au pair where my main purpose is the teach the 7 year old girl english. She has had an english au pair in the past and has a fairly good basis already of the language, though my job is obviously to improve it.

My problem is that because I am also looking after her for long periods of time, it is hard to find a bunch of activities that she will both enjoy and that she will learn from.

She loves colouring so we have begun making our own cue cards by alternating between me drawing and writing the word in english followed by her writing it below in italian, and vice versa. I have tried reading with her, but as that is something she does before bedtime, she does not seem to like to do it any other time. All she wants to do is colour. The parents are beginning to ask me to try to speak and teach her english more, but there's not much room for talking in colouring, since she knows all the colours and a lot of the nouns already.

I need more games to keep a 7 year old both happy and interested in learning english!
Unread Jun 10th, 2011, 08:00 pm
eslHQ Member

oceanpatience is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fun 1-on-1 Games and Excercises for a 7 year old?

Hello,
How about this:
Since you said that she likes coloring. Show them some coloring sheets first, ask her firts if she wants to color those. Before she gets in to coloring work, try to tackle the things in the picture. I think you can help her to increase her vocabulary in that way.

Or, you can try. "Where is......?" question. Kids love to find hidden things (^^)

I do these things to my students too.

Another suggestion is let her memorize and sing some easy English songs..I hope she will love it.